Interested as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm thinking that I may be able to make a batch of these hitches if there is enough interest. Say at least 12 people. It looks like so far I have:

dcsat
waikylam
fjasper
rgm68
Concentric190
slick50
jjcools
Tamas

I'm not yet sure what the cost would be. I will price out materials and labor next week to at least get a ballpark estimate.

I also finished making a few small design changes and completed a FEA analysis. I would be comfortable rating this hitch for towing 5000lbs and 250lb tounge weight, which is about the same as the Westfalia. I don't think the car is strong enough to handle any more than that anyway.

Here is a picture of the latest CAD model.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

You'd better take me off the list, I started cutting metal last night, and hope to have it done this weekend. If it turns into a disaster, I might put myself back on the list, but for now I'm filled with hope and confidence.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sure we can generate more interest on this if only there's a way for them to see this thread.

Will this be a 1.25" or 2"?

JustMtnB44, you're the answer to a lot of ar owners like me have been searching for (for years!). Thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Marketing ideas

quattroworld, audizine, vwvortex, audiforums, etc. In my search for one, I found posts all over the place of people looking for hitches, maybe not a whole bunch of people at any given time, though. Post up some cool pix of hauling a racecar around on a trailer behind an allroad.

Maybe go around and revive old hitch threads, towing threads, etc. You might try putting one on eBay and see what happens, I looked there, too.

Word of mouth will kick in before long if people are happy with the product. It only takes a few people on each site to answer the "what are my hitch options" question to direct potential customers to a good supplier. Others find the recommendation through the archives and search engines. Seems like a good opportunity.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is your schedule, and what do you think the cost will be for the finished product?

Getting itchy for a hitchy!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can find myself an Allroad with manual transmission, I'd be interested in the hitch.

I'd especially be interested in the horizontal 2" version if you get that figured out. I have no issue with the hitch being present all the time as a deterrent to folks getting too close. I have a 200q20v avant with a hitch/ball assembly sticking out the back, as well as a 200q20v sedan with the same arrangement
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily, and with diligence, I found an OEM hitch on craigslist 2 summers ago and had a local dealer install it. Probably have 2K in it after all that so it was expensive. But since it's the original, it automatically turns off the back up warning signal, changes the shift points I understand, etc.

I tow a lightweight Tab trailer at about 1300 pounds and I forget it's there since it's an easy tow. The gas mileage suffers, though, and above about 63 mph drops substantially. I didn't have any more trans cooler added, understanding there is already a small one, so I watch oil temp carefully and adjust speed to that depending on how steep a mountain pass we are climbing.

My question is what to do when I finally sell (will have a reasonable amount on an extended warranty that is transferable). Many have pointed out no one will want to buy a car used for towing - assuming there is any market for an 02 with approx 100K. So, would I benefit more from pulling the tow equipment or by advertising its presence?

allgrrl
Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hitch

Nice!!!

I really would like to have the receiver removable and hidden if possible. I really like the design you have posted, nice work.
Let us know when you get the price estimated, this will be a perfect option so I do not have to have a shop build one for me.

Quick Reply: AR Towing... who's done it?