Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Back at the dealer for temperature problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back at the dealer for temperature problems.

The CEL came on again Sunday in 28 F weather. The engine temp just won't come up to normal. For the record I am on my second thermostat and second sender. Apparently there was a warranty extension for 2003, 2004 and 2005 for these parts but not 2001
Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I am having the same problem this morning. We had a freeze last night. Vag-Com says t-stat or sender

Prime (formerly Clair) Audi's parts server is down so I'm looking at the parts but they can't sell them to me.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In my case the IR no-contact therm clearly shows the coolant and cranckcase

are up to temp, the evil green ect sender just isn't reading it.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'd make a friendly call to AoA and comment on your costs for this...

Perhaps yours is an exception but being there is a TSB/recall on the part, they may be nice.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm on my third sensor too ('01) luckily they are cheap and easy to reaplce...

last time I put in the blue one, for the after-run coolant mod.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATE: Get a load of this....Need feedback.

So the dealer tells me that the instrument cluster gauge itself is faulty. Apparently there is a diagnostic that can force all needles to sweep their full range and the temp gauge stalls less than half way. They say this can cause CEL codes. The part(the whole cluster) is $1183 and god knows what to install.

Additionally, they say the sensor and stat could have problems. The sensor apparently was not OEM so I am having them replace that now.

INDS, my warranty company, denied coverage for the cluster at first pass. Need to review my policy.

This might be the straw.....@#@#$@#$!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default They are totally shotgunning it! I would ask to see the analog indicator test & check the gauge

for yourself. You need to find someone with vag & check the temp via the vag. I would say I use nothing but OE t-stat & sensors because all the others are a crap shoot. I just changed a "new" t-stat in a 00 jetta this week because it was now setting a cooling system performance malfunction code. Was the temp sensor OE?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No is was aftermarket, unbeknownst to me.

Before the dealer, when I first got the CEL, an indy hooked the vag and saw it was not reaching full temp and coming up slowly. I'm not positive that the therm may need replacing AGAIN too. See next post....
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Outcome so far.......SERENITY NOW!!!!

I asked them to only replace the temp
sensor/sender which they said was an hour to 1.5 hours of labor to which I replied - I don't think so. I just had it replaced and the indy did it in like 15-20 minutes. Anyhow, I picked the car up last night and whadayaknow - the temp comes right up to normal, right on time as it warmed up - the first time in months. Hmmmmmmm - malfunctioning cluster huh?

Is anyone honest and competent any more? INDS covered the sensor, so the $200 bill was $100 for me.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ditto.. picked up green ect sensor last night $34 fix

Quick Reply: Back at the dealer for temperature problems.