Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Back on the towing question ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on the towing question ...

if there is no physical difference between the UK and US cars in this area, is there any GOOD reason why I would not just go ahead and pull up to 5000 lbs with my US spec car? It would make my life a lot simpler ....

I am thinking about buying a track car to use in PCA events and really don't want to have to get into all the hassles of buying a tow vehicle as well. I could find a lightweight car but would like to be able to look at street-able cars as well, which is going to put me up in the almost - 3000lb range. By the time you add in trailer, extra set of wheels, tool box, fuel containers and so on it will hit 5000lb.

thanks for your advice ...

Lorne
Old 05-02-2003, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dont realy know but I think its has to do with trailer brakes

But also the US hitch if rated for about 300lbs tung wight. Generaly your tung wight is 10% of the total whight.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Do you have the trailer already?

If not consider an aluminum one. You could save 500-1000 lbs right there. I would have gone this route but I needed a narrower than standard width, so I rebuilt an old custom trailer (which is now about 700lbs empty). I couldn't believe how much some of the steel traliers I looked at weighed.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Do you have the trailer already?

No trailer yet ... I am still thinking it all through ... aluminum is clearly the way to go, though.

lorne
Old 05-02-2003, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As moto-one suggests, tounge weight is the thing to look at...

You could always buy the trailer ball setup from the UK, but you'd have to check on compatibility with hitches here.

I can't believe there's any difference in the car's structures... here and there.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As one who tows a track car- don't try it with the allroad....

I also tow a car to PCA events- have been for 10 years. Tried it first with a Jeep Cherokee, then a Grand Cherokee- both with horrible results. The tow vehicle in each case was lighter than the trailer and 911. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. Best was the 3/4 ton Suburban I had.

2 big factors:
1) the allroad, although it has plenty of torque, will always be on boost pulling up hills. That is a lot of heat being generated. And the trans may not take it.
2) A real tow vehicle has a full frame. The allroad is a unibody so any place you will install a mounting bolt for the hitch you will not have nearly as much metal to support the loads. I ripped the hitch bolts out of the "frame" of the Jeep. I say frame in quotes because the mounting hardware went through nothing more substantial that thick sheet metal.

I now tow with a Ford Explorer V8 AWD and that is marginal at best. I knew a guy who towed from DC to Summit Pt with a Taurus but he only went to the Point and took it easy.

If you are going further than Summit Point- the Glen, MidOhio etc, don't try it with the allroad.

BTW- My 16' steel trailer with tire rack, 911, 2 extra sets of wheels, spare fuel cans, tools came to 5500 Lbs towed. measured it on a scale. And it had brakes on all 4 wheels. That's a lot ofr an allroad.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The allroad's hitch attaches to more than sheet metal...

It goes into the location used for the bumper collition absorbers - or into the frame.

It should have no problem pulling the rated capacities... (whether one uses the US or the UK rating, is the question.)

The tow vehicle does not have to be heavier than the trailer.

While the Jeep is a fantastic offroader, and can be bought with a lot of torque, it's "wagginess" while towing isn't really a measure of the allroad's stability under load. The suspensions are not at all comparible. =)
Old 05-02-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Yes ... I suspect you are right ... another option I am thinking about

is to get a car for track use that is also streetable, then tow a small trailer behind that car to the track with extra wheels and gear. I see some setups like this at the track and the guys seem to be happy with the arrangement.

I just cannot see myself taking the plunge into owning a truck of whatever sort ... there is absolutely no other use that I would have for it. Maybe someone will give me a Cayenne to test for a few years?

Lorne
Old 05-02-2003, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can get an old truck for a couple grand...

So, if you really need a dedicated tow vehicle, it doesn't have to cost much.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hey! you answered your own question..........track the allroad!!!

Quick Reply: Back on the towing question ...