Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Battery drain issue update (additional help needed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: good advice!

I would love some manual scans. Specifically on the radio and navigation circuits referenced above.

I will also verify the grounds like you suggested.

As far as the low voltage codes are concerned, I am hoping they are related to a phantom code developed from a low or drained battery and not related to the electrical problem I am seeing. We will see though.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Like I said when we scanned it...this will take time.

Glad you liked the PBR! After meeting you I figured you might not be a PBR guy.

I will try and stop by SCI this next week. I think I need to trace some circuits and/or isolate some modules or wires that are the culprits. It really seems to be pointing to the nav or radio system.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Simple enough, but the wife has the car out of town for a few days so I can't test till Sun or Mon.

But I'l be glad to do it if it may help you with your problem. Maybe someone else here can do it sooner?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I am interested in the code "Terminal 30 signal too high" that are reported by driver's and

front passenger seat memory control modules. The Bentley manual says the possible cause is "malfunction in wiring".

Maybe you could try to disconnect the seat memory control modules first ???
Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default normal draw is around 16ma. (after the car goes to sleep) The time it takes to go to sleep

varies from make to make. late 90's & newer saab's take about 30 min. before it goes to sleep & the actual draw test can be performed. I would let it sit all doors & hood switches closed before you confirm the draw. The amp meter should be connected between the negative batt cable & the negative post of the battery. I usa a jumper wire connected to the same posts as the amp meter while the car goes to sleep and after 5-10 min i will remove the jumper leaving just the amp meter connected & read the draw. most every car once asleep is about 16ma except the 95-99 porsche 993 which seem to have a huge draw at around 50ma.
I suspect the over voltage codes could be coming from a charger you are using. What is the batt voltage while running & you do need to do a load test of the fully recharged batt. fully charge the batt let it sit for a couple hours or more not connected to anything & have it load tested. pull 150-200 amps out of it for 10-15 seconds. voltage during the load should not drop below 10v and should recover after the load is released to 12v.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an RNS navigation system? You mentioned navigation - if you have an RNS navigation system that was not original in the car but was added at some point? (I didn't see it in your scan - no reference to radio or navigation?) There are well documented issues with one of the wires in the NAV harness causing a battery drain. www.audiforum.us has the problem well documented (it may also be on this forum). Only applicable if you have an Audi RNS type navigation system, tho. Irrelevant if you don't have the NAV system.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

wow, you are not alone!
I too have a 2002 allroad, with no nav system, no phone, and a Symphony Bose radio. After 2-4 days the battery is flat.
I pulled the nav fuse (#17) and dropped the Amp load by about .1
Pulled the radio fuse (#37) and the amp load dropped by almost 1 AMP.
this is getting redonculus. I replaced the battery with a new one.
doh. throwing money away there I fear.

my post in vwvortex as of today as well:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=4823979
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jebbcorp
wow, you are not alone!
I too have a 2002 allroad, with no nav system, no phone, and a Symphony Bose radio. After 2-4 days the battery is flat.
I pulled the nav fuse (#17) and dropped the Amp load by about .1
Pulled the radio fuse (#37) and the amp load dropped by almost 1 AMP.
this is getting redonculus. I replaced the battery with a new one.
doh. throwing money away there I fear.

my post in vwvortex as of today as well:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=4823979
2002 AR Symphony 2 no phone no Nav. Drawing 330 mA on battery. Will pull fuses and see what changes.

I assume our Bose subwoofer amp is turned on by signal sensing or directly from radio?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuse 17, navigation (don't have) pulled, draw drops to 70 mA.
But suspension height system is off now, so can't leave it like that.

How to fix?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Fuse 17, navigation (don't have) pulled, draw drops to 70 mA.
But suspension height system is off now, so can't leave it like that.

How to fix?

hi
did you find out what 2 do with the car? i have the same problem with mine. battery drain. 0,69amp. without cd/radio fuse 0,31amp and if i also remove navigation fuse im down on 0,03amp drain.

after 2-3 days i have starting trouble. how can i fix the problem?
have orginal rns navigation. allroad c5 2003 model. i recently put in a pioneer 2din player, but i had the same problem before i put the new player in the car.

Quick Reply: Battery drain issue update (additional help needed)