Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Bentley Manual or Service Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bentley Manual or Service Manual

I'm getting ready to do my timing belt replacement and I'm wondering if I need the Bentley or Service manual? I've read that the Bentley is the go to guide, but they only have it on disc. No paperback and limited operating system requirements to run the disc from Bentley. Anyone copy the Bentley or have it on PDF? Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawoo
I'm getting ready to do my timing belt replacement and I'm wondering if I need the Bentley or Service manual? I've read that the Bentley is the go to guide, but they only have it on disc. No paperback and limited operating system requirements to run the disc from Bentley. Anyone copy the Bentley or have it on PDF? Thanks
"Service manual" ? ...Bentley IS a service manual, with all the same info directly from Audi that is supplied to dealers. Luckily, with the Allroad, it's available on DVD or in paperback.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Workshop manual for allroad

The workshop manual for VW\Audi is ElsaWin! 10 USD on Ebay. All VW\Audi garages useing it. Most of the pictures in Bentley manual are taken from ElsaWin manual.

Last edited by amiram; 03-12-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by amiram
The workshop manual for VW\Audi is ElsaWin! 10 USD on Ebay. All VW\Audi garages useing it. Most of the pictures in Bentley manual are taken from ElsaWin manual.
Not quite...no photos or drawings in Bentley come "from elsawin"....ALL are supplied by VW/Audi and elsawin uses some of the same.

If you conducted a poll, you might find that those who've used both would prefer the ease and completeness of Bentley.

But, above all, no one can do proper DIY without a complete tool box, which always includes a service manual.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Manuals

Originally Posted by silverd2
Not quite...no photos or drawings in Bentley come "from elsawin"....ALL are supplied by VW/Audi and elsawin uses some of the same.

If you conducted a poll, you might find that those who've used both would prefer the ease and completeness of Bentley.

But, above all, no one can do proper DIY without a complete tool box, which always includes a service manual.
I have the two manuals ElsaWin and bentley,in ElsaWin There is much more information, More professional more detailed. And cheaper
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by amiram
I have the two manuals ElsaWin and bentley,in ElsaWin There is much more information, More professional more detailed. And cheaper
Elsawin is not as model specific as Bentley.

Elsawin covers more models, but does NOT cover any single procedure on a specific model more thoroughly...both publishers are provided the same info from Audi.
In the US, the Bentley covers more specific info (including TSB's etc..) on virtually every model specific procedure.

Challenge:
Since you have both, show us a side-by-side comparison of ANY model specific procedure, such as replacing a cam adjuster, a valve cover gasket, info on specific OBD2 codes, etc... This should prove your claim of "more info" by Elsawin compared to Bentley.

Last edited by silverd2; 03-12-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that they do have the Bentley on Paperback, not sure how I missed that one! Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default challeng

Originally Posted by silverd2
Elsawin is not as model specific as Bentley.

Elsawin covers more models, but does NOT cover any single procedure on a specific model more thoroughly...both publishers are provided the same info from Audi.
In the US, the Bentley covers more specific info (including TSB's etc..) on virtually every model specific procedure.

Challenge:
Since you have both, show us a side-by-side comparison of ANY model specific procedure, such as replacing a cam adjuster, a valve cover gasket, info on specific OBD2 codes, etc... This should prove your claim of "more info" by Elsawin compared to Bentley.
Do not challenge me, please. My car challenging me enough. Pay $ 10 and see for yourself.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawoo
I see that they do have the Bentley on Paperback, not sure how I missed that one! Thanks for the replies.
Mine is a hardback copy. Looked great as a coffee table book when it was new,!
Wife did not appreciate it so much.

If you are looking for it ISBN is 978-0-8376-1670-4