Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

A/C Smells on Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Smells on Start-Up

Just started using A/C again and when I turn it on, I get a musty odor. It has been in the ECON mode all winter but I have done this every year since new in '02 and this is the first time I experienced this for more than a few minutes and it continues to some degree on start-up. Could condensate line be blocked? Has this happened to anyone before? Air is cold and it seems to be getting better but I can't take the complaining by my wife (worse than smell). Any advise?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 AM

Probably mold buildup on the HEPA filter.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree the filter is the likely problem. BMW have the stinky A/C problem...

The BMW forums say spray some Lysol into the intake vent under the bottom of the windshield / hood. Your best bet is to change the filter. If under warranty the dealer should do that for free since there seems to be a problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Not always the case,

that kind of mold usually grows in the heat exchanger in the a/c system. It gets wet with condensation, this is where the puddle under your car comes from when you run a/c, and thus this is where your mold grows. There is a product I've bought at NAPA, that you spray in the airducts and a/c intake. It kills the mold, and depending on how humid it is where you live it can stay mold/smell free for a few months. But, it's not a permanent fix, as the conditions that caused the mold continue with a/c use. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but I'm sure if you describe the problem at your parts store, they'll know what you're talking about. Btw, I just had the filter changed in the ar with 40k service and it still stinks. I've also changed the filter in my Saab and it didn't get rid of the mold smell. That's when I tracked down the spray.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahhh, the smell of a poorly designed A/C system in the morning. : )

I've heard the switch from R-12 to R-134 being blamed for moldy smells from A/C, not sure if it's because the heat exchanger doesn't get as cold as before, or because the system needs to recycle inside air more to keep interior cool. Anyway I agree that it's not always the filter causing the smell.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smells like Mictury?...

...sorry for the **** poor pun. I've just had probably too many beers at Disney Downtown with some customers.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sounded like a "Big Lebowski" reference. Rather a carpet odor thing...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Doubt it's the R-134,

I've converted a few cars from R-12 to R-134 and not had the problem in those cars, and none of the cars I've done have had a problem keeping the cars cool. I think it's more likely poor drainage from the area of the heat exchanger.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

....and "Appocolypse Now" of course
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think bastard child between Coen-Coppola.

Quick Reply: A/C Smells on Start-Up