Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Don't have an owner's Manual yet- can't use all of these cool toys....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't have an owner's Manual yet- can't use all of these cool toys....

Dealer is getting me one, but in the meantime, I can't figure out a few things on my new-to-me 2001 allroad- for instance:
1. How the rear wiper control stalk works? (I turned it on, and then off, a few minutes later, but how??

2. What activates the headlight washers? I can't find a switch (maybe the windshield cleaner?) 2nd question- how do you activate the winshield cleaner jets?

3. How do you know if you have Xenons? I have always thought they took a second to snap on, then had a bluish tint, but I am at a loss on mine.

4. I have a phone-jack looking plug in my console- is this a prewire for a cell phone, or am I looking at a previous owner's handiwork? It is on the passenger side, at the rear of the console, near the bottom.

5. Rear fog light- is that the second detent on the headlight switch? The first is front fogs, my rear fog may be burnt out.

6. How do you set the time? I am still on daylight savings- annoying.

Any help is appreciated- Love the ar, but can't figure some things out!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some answers...

1) windshield wiper stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel - push it forward from its center 'off' position

2) headlights on, pull the windshield wiper stalk back towards you, and hold it there for a couple of seconds

3) at night, the light should be very white, and there should be a well-defined cutoff between what is lit, and what is not

4) dunno, your guess sounds reasonable

5) yes

6) black **** under tach - push,pull(I think), turn, in various combinations
Old 05-27-2006, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Newer models set clock via control on center console. Also...

any projector lamp will have a sharp cut-off, not just xenons. Auto-leveling at turn on is the surest sign of xenons.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He says he has a 2001, so I'll assume the clock is the same. Thanks for the xenon corrections...

...as this is the first car I've had with projector-type headlamps, I forgot that was due to the projector, not the xenon...(it's obvious, once I actually think about it)
Old 05-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help- and the welcome. On the Xenons- does it matter if the outer lens has the Hella logo on it?
This seems like a very friendly group, always willing to lend a hand... great to see, happy to be a (newbie) part of it. I may take a few pics and do an explanation when I tear my tip shifter apart to fix the engagement problem - maybe I can offer something useful to the ar forum.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:19 PM

Default on the clock the car has to be in access mode at least to change it and the xenons

you would notice a significant difference in night vision with them even over the newer supposedly higher intensity lights...my husband has an '06 Impala company-mobile and it has brighter than regular lights but they are nothing compared to the xenons...too bad you don't have more documentation on your vehicle...I had the original sticker from mine even though I am the second owner
Old 05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just curious if you checked in the compartment beneath the steering wheel for the owners manual?

some (including dealers) don't know its stored there rather than the glove compartment.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: on the clock the car has to be in access mode at least to change it and the xenons

Uh-oh. "Access mode"? Is that anything like "Door Open Mode"? More stuff I don't have "access" to! Let's see, but I do know about the shelf under the steering column, no manual there (good thought, though).
I don't have any reference point for the xenons other than my old SUVs, which were bright and seemed to blind everyone, so no obvious cutoff point there.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No reading comp ------>

Quick Reply: Don't have an owner's Manual yet- can't use all of these cool toys....