Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

DRLs - want fogs on (ign switched) to pass regs - already STFA (some useful results below)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRLs - want fogs on (ign switched) to pass regs - already STFA (some useful results below)

I need the fogs on all the time (i.e. switched with the ignition) on my 2002 ar - I bought a US 2002 allroad and need this to pass my Canadian import certification. I should specify I really only need a temporary solution - after the importation cert, the cops don't care and it does not need DRLs to pass a regular safety to sell the car within Canada. My search has turned up these incomplete solutions:

The K2 fog mod:
https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/140094.phtml
but isn't ignition switched (just allows fogs to be switched independent of the headlights).

The C6 A6 DRL mod (using VAG):
https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/14583.phtml
which switches country code to "Canada" for DRLs, but the C5 ar doesn't seem to have a module 09 controller in VAG-COM, which is "cent elect".

The B5 A4 FOG mod:
http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/fog-mod.html
which seems to use different relays and again is only to allow independent fogs, not automatic with ignition.

The TT DRL/fog mod:
http://s91109985.onlinehome.us/03225qc/FogLight.pdf
which seems the most promising since it seems to use a similar relay and headlight switch, but I am still not totally sure about it.

What do you think? How about just temporarily rigging a 15A fused wire to the fog's lead wires off it's relay (although I have only a slight clue as to which wire is which...)

Willing to try any reasonable solutions - I have no Bentley (yet...will probably get it later) but am reasonably skilled mechanic and am not bad with wiring (I did make my own EG civic / H22 engine wiring harness from scratch, although it was definitely not winning any prizes for aesthetics).

Even someone with a bentley could help with the wire colors/relay info if possible...thanks...it will help any Canadian thinking of picking up a cheap allroad from the US and help keep your resale value high due to buyer demand - I see this has been a regular complaint on this forum lately...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: DRLs - want fogs on (ign switched) to pass regs - already STFA (some useful results below)

I am looking at it now - I'm pretty sure I could just use the "add-a-fuse" block I bought to do the K2 mod (independent fogs) and:

1.) plug the add-a-fuse (temporarily) into to a ignition-switched fuse on the inside fuse panel
2.) patch this new 15A fused "load" wire to the fogs lead wires off it's relay.

But - does anyone know which relay the fogs are on, and (especially) which wire off this relay goes to the fogs? I don't have time to wait for the Bentley, I have to get the cert before the end of May - but anyone with a bentley could help...please!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default did the 628 mod while I was there, still not sure which relay the fogs are....but...

...there are three "53" relays and am pretty sure one of them are the fogs, but still I'd have no idea on the wiring behind the relays. I'm going to bed...gonna attack it tomorrow at lunch in the work parking lot.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow - nobody can help me and my post is getting beaten by "Euro Aero Roof Bars" and welcome wagon..
Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default as far as having them come on when you start the car, like you said

maybe a slot that does come on with the ignition but I can not think of any. I thought I had read somewhere it is doable but a euro spec (canadian in your case) light switch would work. Maybe find out what you could pick one of those up for and do a retro-fit. Just an idea ;-)
Old 05-26-2006, 04:14 AM

Default Attitude is everything:) Just out of curiosity....

as your number is higher than mine did you rename yourself when you came over from the S4 Board? Sometimes folks are busy or just don't have the info but you'll not find a more helpful or more civil board anywhere around.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Attitude is everything:) Just out of curiosity....

I have not posted on the S4 board, actually I've never been on this board until the last couple days. I think I've figured out the whole ignition-switched DRL deal, I'll post it once I'm done (it's all about modification of the light switch...). I just was hoping someone could spend the 5 minutes to look up a couple wires on the Bentley for me.

The B5 S4 has been the wife's/babyseat car since 2003, just MTM chipped. Now that we bought the AR, I get the S4. I try to do all work on the cars myself, I trust NO mechanic, and from what I've seen so far, Audi service is total cr@p. Even if I am pinched for time and have someone do work on a car, I have almost always partially or fully tear down their work within the month to make sure it's right - from what I find, it rarely is.

Sorry about if it comes off as attitude, I am coming from a turbo Honda background and it's a different crowd - much younger and immature, but there is PLENTY of knowledge and everyone is willing to share. Plus lots of 500, 600, 700 and even 800 whp cars, some of which are regularly street driven. There's not a lot of respect on Honda-tech.com for cosmetically-driven "ricers", so it's a little hard to accept that I'm posting on a board where "how do these wheels look on my car" is a daily occurence.

The rest of the year will be devoted to completing my last Honda project, a 94 civic EG coupe with a H22 (prelude motor) and a Garrett GT3076R turbo. Sometime this year too I will definitely replace the allroad's airbags with coilovers, the writeup by RMcQ is excellent and seems a lot more cost effective in the long run than replacing the bags. I also really can't stand the floatiness of the car, I'd imagine this will help.

And after that, maybe next year, I'll start looking at the S4. I already have a rough layout for a single turbo exhaust manifold and 3" downpipe, expecting to throw a single GT35R in there on the passenger side. Hopefully by then someone will have made available more user-friendly fuel and ignition tuning software for Motronic...
Old 05-27-2006, 08:04 AM

Wasn't meant to put you down...just get you to slow down and refocus...allroad-style