Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

ExtremeContact vs. Tripletred in allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ExtremeContact vs. Tripletred in allroad?

My 02 allroad has gone through 3 sets of tires after 64k. I just got the Tripletred installed today based on good feedback here and in tirerack.com

However I have 2nd thoughts about that after the installation. Should I get the Conti ExtremeContact instead? It is not available in OEM 17'' size and has been replaced by ExtremeContact DWS, which don't have a lot of reviews. From what I read here, the original ExtremeContact is good in dry, wet and light snow and is a UHP all-season tire whereas the Tripletred is just a passenger all-season.

My question is, will I give up a lot of dry grip using the Tripletred instead of the Conti? I am in the Seattle area with 6 months of rain and occasionally snow in winter. I will also go skiiing 2-3 times per year.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When looking for tires earliers this summer I looked at the Conti ExtremeContacts and actually settled on the Bridgestone Potenza 960 A/S, albeit in the 18s and XL version but have been supper happy after ~5k of use.
Snow volume and matrix will have biggest impact on the tires. But I live in DC and we don't get a ton of snow, more sleet & ice. But still occassion drive to Buffalo, upstate NY for the holidays and there it can snow like crazy.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baxter
My question is, will I give up a lot of dry grip using the Tripletred instead of the Conti? I am in the Seattle area with 6 months of rain and occasionally snow in winter. I will also go skiiing 2-3 times per year.

Thanks!
I'm in Seattle too - I went in and had the TripleTreds put on last December in all that freak snow. Great tires!! I had Yokohama something-or-others on it previously. The TripleTred don't give up much in dry handling, and it more than makes up for it in the rain (they've been great having them this week!) and the snow. Actually, I was pretty impressed with the tires when I finally got to experience them in dry. The 80,000 mile treadwear warranty is a woderous thing with the AR too!

I had the ExtremeContacts on my Saab 9-3 and they seemed really mushy and unstable - they've got pretty soft sidewalls - cornering was an event.

I've liked the TripleTreds much better...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just put Conti Extreme Contacts on my ar last week. Drove in 20" of snow today in Denver and very happy with them so far.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks guys, especially 2.7Ted for sharing your experience with the tires in Seattle. I look forward to driving the car to Snoqualmie Pass this winter!

The OEM P6 tires died after only 12k and I switched to Nokian WR. Couldn't be happier with the WR, especially their performance in snowstorms and unplowed roads in Montana (way better than the Hankook Icebear that I also had). However came summer and the WR was less than satisfying on dry roads. Alas...the compromise of all-season tires!

ExtremeContact's soft sidewall issue seems to be quite common as reported in forums. Another issue that concerns me is flatspotting which I see a lot in forums too.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm in Denver and got the tripletreds about 2 years ago. They've been great, got about 35k miles on them so far and they are still working wonderfully.