Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Finally got a rental vehicle I like driving, and it's a Toyota 4Runner....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got a rental vehicle I like driving, and it's a Toyota 4Runner....

Since I'm in a rental car almost every week, for 3-5 days at a time, it's a pretty good test of cars. Been contemplating Q7, Cayenne, maybe Touareg to replace the allroad.

But this 4Runner is nice! Even though it weighs 4300 lbs empty, the 4.0 V6 just plain blows the doors off any 6 cyl the Germans have to offer in their SUV's. I had to pop the hood when I got fuel to see if I got a V8 version. Driving up through the Poconos yesterday from BWI airport, this puppy had plenty of power, with an engine that was willing to rev smoothly when called upon to pass a string of slow moving cars. 300 miles, mostly at speeds of 80-90, passing on mountain uphills running the engine up to redline, and got 18.4 mpg average! Can't even do that in the allroad.

Ergonomically, it fit comfortably even for a base SR5 with cloth. All the controls were in logical places and the seat was plenty comfortable for 3+ hours behind the wheel. Only complaint (and it's a biggie for this coffee addict) is that the cup holders aren't sized for anything from Caribou or Starbucks. Go figure.

And affordable too! Did a quick pricing on Edmunds for the exact truck I'm driving with the equipment on it, and it shows a sticker of $30,875, and an Edmunds "typical" price of 27,820 less a 2500 rebate for a grand total of $25,320. Lot's of power, nice riding and handling (for an SUV), comfortable, inexpensive, and Toyota reliability. Surprised the heck out of me!

Past rental cars from hell:
Chrysler Sebring convertible- just plain crude and slow.
Chevy Trailblazer- I've ridden tractors with a more refined engine. And 14 mpg?
Buick Rendezvous- 2500 miles on it and I couldn't keep it in it's lane, and only a 4 speed auto?
Buick Lacrosse- only acceptable when driving like an 80 yr old- 50mph in the left lane. Regardless, the Avalon has nothing to worry about.
Chevy Equinox- OK so I actually liked this thing. So shoot me.
Dodge Charger- granted on the V6, but I couldn't sit high enough to feel confortable looking out, and the rear end jumped sideways on every bump in th road.
Chevy Impala- Just your basic cheap box on wheels
Chrysler Pacifica- allroad wannabe, with no power or refinement.
Cadillac SRX- with Northstar V8- OK this one was actually fun. at 14 mpg average over 7 days.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default we a 4Runner in 99-2001...

50K miles and never at the dealer for anything. MPG was 18-22, but never a problem with any weather except high winds.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got rid of an 06 4Runner

SR5. It wasn't a bad SUV, but from coming from German cars, it was a big let down. It wasn't bad around town, but interstate driving was down right scary with the float, especially during high winds.

The HVAC system seems to suck in every pollutant out there.

The 4WD was great in crappy weather, and it could haul tons of stuff. I had a stroke in May that really screwed up my depth perception and found it really tough to drive it. I traded it for a new C class, which was easier for me to drive.

Overall it's not a bad vehicle. I had only 1 problem, defective cats that made is smell like rotten eggs.