Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Girlroad, I owe you a case of beer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlroad, I owe you a case of beer.

The past week or so I've had my CEL on. Pretty common occurrence, she always throws nuisance codes once every month or two saying "system too lean" when I'm working it hard to make up lost time. Anyhow, I took it for a drive last Saturday night in the freezing rain, and brought my laptop with so I could pull the OBD-II codes and clear the CEL.

I just finished gassing up, had a hot bag of McDicks in the passenger seat, and I've got my cheapo OBD-II scanner cable hooked up to the laptop. I'm feeling around the bottom side of the steering column for the data port, and my fingers run across this soft spot. But, it's below the column gasket, and there's hard kick panel between the two... so WTH is this? I get out of the car and look at it in the dim light.

It looks and feels like there's some fabric substance there with a seam in the middle. I always thought it was a continuation of the steering column gasketing, but when I got out the flashlight, I saw the Audi ring pattern reflecting back, and I knew exactly what it was.

Thank you, Girlroad. I was about to buy a new manual for $50 and completely waste my money. It looks like everything's here: the Quick-Reference guide, the dealer directory, the Audi Club application, and more... there's also a little bit of original-owner paperwork stuffed in the case, like the temporary tag receipt putting her in Elizabeth, Colorado in mid-July '03, and it's 10K service receipt from McDonald Automotive in Littleton. Little nuggets of information about her that I never would have found out any other way. Made my night.

Just thought I'd say thanks, and I should've taken a closer look when you mentioned it.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wonder how many sets of manuals exist that have never been touched because the owners were never

shown where they were...?

when I sold these back in 01-02, it was one think I certainly pointed out, and I still had a few customers ask me to remind them where I "hid" them.

As an aside, the Q7 doesn't have that nifty slot for the books, and the glove box is oh-so-small that practically nothing else fits in there with the manuals in it 8^(
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How does the manual and vinyl cover get wedged so far in that you don't know it's there? If it were

just the booklet itself, I'd understand. But my package is so large (and no, I don't mean it in THAT sense) that I can't get it all the way into the slot even if I wanted to.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some day the owner's manual will be in electronic format, stored on the car's hard drive, viewed on

the RNS screen, and accessed through MMI...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM

You are welcome <curtsies> but I do prefer wine
Old 01-06-2009, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BMW now does that with the new hard-drive based Idrive. Sure others will follow.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, and I guess what AWD said above will still be true - because nobody will know how to access

the electronic manual!

It's sort of like a Catch-22: You don't know how to operate the car, but you can't get to the user manual because that would require your knowing how to operate the car! LOL...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 AM

Default I laugh, my owner's manual for my '66 Mustang is about 20 pgs. long. I used to read the manual...

cover to cover as soon as I got a new car home. Now I just breeze through it, just don't have the time or brain cells to absorb a volume's worth of info.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 AM

Yup, let's see how to diagnose the cause of a dead battery via the I-drive.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do they give you a 'can opener' option in case idrive is hosed?

Quick Reply: Girlroad, I owe you a case of beer.