Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Giving some thought to a new shifter. JHM's solid ball design.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giving some thought to a new shifter. JHM's solid ball design.

I have the Toy Guy,(ok) I've had the Hypershift.(blah) None of them address the pivot ball which is plastic. The JHM does....
My pivot ball has 170K miles of shifting on it. Its a thought.<ul><li><a href="http://jhmotorsports.com/pictures/JHM_Pamphlet_shifter_linkage.jpg">click</a></li></ul>
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have one here that I haven't put in yet. It's very solidly made and comes with everything needed

for installation, including grease. They have model-specific installation videos on their site, according to the paper instructions.

It'll probably be quite a while before I get to it - I have too many things, on the car and elsewhere, I have to do before I can play with non-necessary gadgets, but if you're not in a hurry, I can give you a report once I've installed it and tried it out.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When I rebuilt, I welded a spherical bearing into the tranny side of the shift rod.

It made a really big improvement. That, plus a short shift kit, really helped the feel.

I turned this bearing change into an art project, and it took an hour perhaps to fab, and many more hours getting it *right*. I just happened to have a 3/4" SRE hanging out that was the same OD as the plastic junk I pulled out of the shifter rod. Little did I know that JHM already has a suitable readymade replacement for that sloppy ball and socket joint. That's the one on the bottom left of that flyer.

There's also a bushing on the top of the tranny (as seen on the right side of the image), that mates the control rod to the tranny. The shifter mechanism has two rods: the shift rod, which actually moves the gear changing mechanism on the tranny; and the control rod, which locates the hand-lever shifting mechanism in place. This bushing is perhaps tough to get to (it's an upward-facing allen bolt holding it to the tranny), but is not impossible to replace with the tranny in place.

I think there's alot of slop in that whole assembly. For me, though, the worst was the worn out plastic bit.

You can remove the shifter rod by taking off driver's side halfshaft CV and heatshield, by disconnecting the rod at the tranny (13mm acorn nut) and at the tranny (6? 8? mm allen bolt), and then slipping the rod through the rubber boot (carefully, some silicone may help it slide better). Upon reinsertion of that rod into the rubber boot: I found a rather, ahem, "specular"-ish usage of a pair of needlenose pliers helped to create a suitable aperture for the control rod.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How did your internal rebuild go? Snap any pictures? Curious if the allroad had the old type syncros

or the newer replacement ones which the s4 guys need to install. The allroad seems to have gotten quite a few updates from the get go that the s4 didn't.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The JHM shifter rocks!

I put the JHM shifter in my AR a few months ago. It is the most solid shifter I have ever used. Beats the B&amp;M in my A4. The solid pivot takes so much more slop out of the system. The whole thing feels so much more connected to the car now. You can check out my instal write-up in the tech section.

Eric
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You won't regret it. My shifter was still good and I replaced to this shifter and worth every...

penny. Friend has the Stratmoshere in his S4 and is considering replacing his for the JHM after driving my car. The shifts are very tight and precise. Probably the best shifter I've had in any of my Audi's.

Thought for you when you replace, I believe I have the medium spring on my shifter, which seems to be a good choice. I'm not certain what the heavy duty spring feels like, but the softest one was def too soft for my taste.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The rebuild results are phenomenal - this car didn't shift this well when I bought it.

I'd been speed shifting second pretty much from day one, and now I can basically slam shift it.

The syncros (as well as the 1-2 slider) were the old style, for sure. The second gear syncro was pretty much toast.

For all of that work, I didn't snap a single picture. Lame me.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use to take pics of everything, now I don't take pics of anything. : )

I'm jealous that you took the time to rip the trans apart, and fix the design flaws, I wouldn't curse mine at least once a week if I would have taken the time.