Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Has anyone noticed that the car seems unsettled on irregular pavement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone noticed that the car seems unsettled on irregular pavement?

I've noticed that when going over a manhole cover or some rough payment that the car tracks strangely. I was on a straight road and went over a manhole cover doing maybe 40 mph and it almost felt like the backend stepped out 6 inches. I'm stock except for the 245x50ZR17 Pilot Sport A/S...any thoughts, cures?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/66971.phtml">From not too long ago</a></li></ul>
Old 03-01-2004, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's the tires. Had a conversation with a Michelin engineer about the Pilot Sport A/S and he said..

it's the sensitivity of the tires accentuating "faults" in the suspension. Here's the summary of his thoughts:
-The Pilot Sport A/S is a low-rolling-resistance tire. It is constructed for slightly quicker acceleration and better fuel economy. So it runs freer that most other tires.
-Freer not just in rolling direction but also in lateral as well.
-If the car is even slightly out of alignment, the tires will allow the car to pull or jump to the side.
-If other tires don't do it, it's because they are inferior tires. His words not mine.

That said, I've had this problem on my allroad since I Installed the Pilot A/S tires. Had the same problem on my old '98 A6 with Pilot A/S. In each case, the rear of the car would kick to the right on uneven bumps and holes.

Surprisingly, the problem went away when I installed my snows. Never equated the problem to the tires. That's what prompted me to call Michelin. Not sure how a tire that causes a perfectly aligned car to hop to the right is "superior" to others that don't. And frankly I think that was a pretty arrogant remark.

But the guy did suggest that if I wasn't happy with the tires, he'd goodwill them off for another Michelin tire. Problem is there is no other Michelin that's made in the 245/50-17 size. And if I go to 18's, I'm not sure that there's a good summer/wet tire that Michelin makes.
All this after an $800 investment.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think it's the tires because it was as bad if not worse with the original POS Pirellis
Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In my case- it's definitely the tires, because the pull is gone with the snows mounted....

but it might be worth borrowing someone else's wheel/tires to try.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree with Ed, mine does this with the A/S's but not my Nokian winter tires!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think it is completely due to the tires...

We have V-rated Nokian WRs on the car and it still does the wag. I think it is more of a weight/alignment/suspension compliance issue. Once you start moving 4200lbs laterally, it takes a lot of force to stop it.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine does it with the 18" S03's but does not with the 17" M2's.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe this will help explain.

Michelins have a stiffer sidewall,the reason that they better feel,on turn-in and handle so well, the reason you wanted them in the first place. This in turn (if your car is ever so slightly out of alignment,even by a 1/16) You feel the movement as one wheel cross something that eather releasess traction or causes deflection. Other tires with softer side walls will not transmit this back to you the driver. It's a give and take, if you want the crisper handling you have to give up some ride quality.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:54 PM

I've had the same prob, with OEM tires &amp; new ones... not Michelin pilots...

Quick Reply: Has anyone noticed that the car seems unsettled on irregular pavement?