Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Help with allroad purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with allroad purchase

Guys

I am close to pulling the trigger on an '05 allroad. 4.2. 45k miles. The car is loaded and is in very good condition. It has RNS-E nav, parking sensors, 17" dual spokes on P6's, full body paint. I know people on here hate the P6's, but they are brand new so will be hard to just toss them... The car has a year left of the new car warranty and then it is CPO'd. I wonder if you guys could help with a few questions:

I guess I am going to lose the new car warranty after 50k miles. The CPO warranty then kicks in I guess. What are the material differences in coverage?

Given the warranty situation, I am thinking I do not need an inspection. Views?

The steering wheel is probably the single worst item on the car (as far as I can tell). It seems like it s 10+ years old. The dealer said "yeah, the '05's all wear like that.... " Huh? How much is involved in getting a replacement?

When closing the driver's door, the "clunk" doesn't sound quite right. It may be that I have been spoilt by (newer) M5, but, it could also be that the car has been in a collision. But, at least with BMW, they will not CPO a car that has been in a crash. Same thing with Audi?

The guy wants 26k. I am thinking I need to pay less in this market. KBB is out of date IMHO given market conditions.

it has the RNS-E nav. But, it does not have the "Menu" button underneath the mirror controllers that I have seen on another allroad with RNS-E. What gives?

Lastly, if I got this car and APR chipped it, would this void CPO/ warranty?

Tks a lot. Great forum

JD
Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Help with allroad purchase

Chipping a car voids the warranty, any warranty. I have heard that some repair shops might ignore the chip so long as the performance increase isn't what damaged the car.

Others will respond to clarify this.

I have an 05 4.2 that I bought with less than 21k and paid only a little over that with no damage. It was in mint condition other than 1 small chip that was painted over and is hard to see unless looking closely. The sticker price was $53,750 with it's options (for comparison). The tires were in need of replacement and I did 4 months later.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where are you buying it? what dealer? this one factor is is important.

a indy inspection is also important. Tyrole Sport in Queens, should loook at it.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check out the Audi CPO webpage for the warranty details. I think it's what they call an

"inclusionary" warranty, so only those things that are specifically enumerated in the warranty are covered (which is somewhat like the converse of the original factory warranty). Also, you pay a $50 deductible per visit for CPO.

The door clunk on the allroad is disappointing. I think that's across the board. Although some CPO allroads that I checked out felt tighter than others - just a variation in build quality that I've been ranting about over the past few months.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good luck on the purchase. My car had worn buttons that Audi refused to fix under warranty. Chipping a 4.2 adds little power and probably not worth it. it does not cancel your warranty unless the warranty defect was caused by the chip.. For example, a bad air bag in the suspension is covered chip or no chip. My dealer even offers their own chip.

At least get a carfax for accidents.

Menu buttons under mirror control is for the center dash nav, an older system. RSN is far superior and controlled by the radio

check out my chalet:

www.happybearchalet.com
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 4.2 is a good setup one that I am sure you will like. I have the apr chip on mine, it does improve the performance but maybe not worth the $599 they want. I was able to transfer from the 2.7 I had prior for $150 which was worth it. This is my 2nd allroad on both original warranty and CPO. There are some differences: an example is CV joint boots not covered on CPO. On the 2002 allroad I did not have any issues of items not being covered: air suspension air bag and compressor, oil leaks both engine and transmission. Have an indy do a detailed inspection before OEM warranty ends.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

MJP - tks for this. Carfax shows no accidents but then it has a number of the service visits missing also, whereas the dealer sent me the full list. As to the Menu button, I know the the old menu button used to control the old CD based Nav that only displayed on he center dash display. But, check this out - this is another RNS-E car, that still has the button. I guess it could be a retrofit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-Allroad-4-2-05-AUDI-ALLROAD-4-2L-NAVI-BLACK-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39 Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp328 6Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250303695481QQitemZ25030369 5481
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow. Helluva deal. well done. Was it CPO'd?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: where are you buying it? what dealer? this one factor is is important.

Dealer is up in CT. Valenti.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default get an indy inspection..

have the VIN run at another audi dealer to get the service history.

Quick Reply: Help with allroad purchase