Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Help, have Vredestein Wintrac Extreme snows. Anyone else? Have H-sports on hard and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, have Vredestein Wintrac Extreme snows. Anyone else? Have H-sports on hard and...

and I'm getting poor snow performance. They guys at Vredstein and their local distributor tell me they've had nothing but excellent reviews. That they beat the Blizzak LM-22 up in Steamboat, etc. Can the hard vs. soft make that much difference? What is anyone elses' experience with the tire, bars? Help
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does it make any differnece?

how could the H-sport make a differnece in your traction when going on normal roads?

I'm on hard with the Falken 512's AS and no ill effects in NY downstate snow..when we have it.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What kind of tire pressures are you running?

Lower is better in the snow. It allows the tire to deform to follow irregular surfaces. The H sports should make almost no difference whatsoever in straight line performance (acceleration and braking). If the car only breaks loose in cornering, they may be playing a part in that.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Doesn't allow the suspension to compress, too firm, contributing to oversteer...

which can be fun, but we've had so much snow I've more "experience" than I'd like. Heard some folks put their H-sports on soft for the winter to reduce this.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 32 front, 31 rear, nitrogen. main problem is in fact cornering...

worried about treadwear with lower pressures. suggestions?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Radial tires grip best at normal inflation pressures . Hard

setting only makes a difference at level 4 and really on rough road. I have Hankook Ice Bears and I can't get the wheels to brake loose in a hard sweeper in the snow. Perhaps the tires are not that good. In any event cornering performance in snow will be compromised, no lateral grip in snow, as it tends to move around.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Doubt the H-Sports would make that much difference.

Also, 32-31 in an allroad? Don't expect those tires to last very long in an allroad. Factory specs are 39-43 for all-season tires. You run an allroad that low and the edges of those tires will be gone in no time.

Not being a wiseguy, BUT if it's slippery out (especially snow/ice slippery), why would you expect ANY kind of decent handling/cornering? I don't care what vehicle you're in or what tires you have, you have to adjust your driving to the conditions. If it's nasty out, slow down!

allroads are great in the nasty stuff, way better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee with new tires, except in real deep stuff. We have performance all-season Falken Ziex's on the allroad which have been great in all conditions.

Jim
Old 01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had Nokian WRs on this car, and they were ballistic...but I'm not talking about

going very fast, the car is losing traction at slow speeds on slow corners (less than 10-15 mph). I could try airing up, but I think that would make matters worse. We'll see. I think what I need is really a Nokian RSi, dedicated type snow/ice tire for here.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pressure up.. not down as exPZ stated...

I don't get it...Unless you just have too much snow..
Old 01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Disagree...

Normal pressures are OK for driving on dry roads, but in snow/ice/hardpack lower pressures are better. It allows the tire to deform more over irregular surfaces, maintaining better contact.

Quick Reply: Help, have Vredestein Wintrac Extreme snows. Anyone else? Have H-sports on hard and...