Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Here's a wonderful whimsicle story of road-rage - Bicycle vs. Audi in an all out fight to the death!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to respectfully disagree with some opinions here...

Sorry all, I love my ar and appreciate everyone's opinion on this board, however being a cyclist and bike racer myself i have to side with the crazy cyclist on this one. Please note that even though it sounds like he was being out-of-line, he appears to have been mostly within the law (at least in CA). The rules of the road indicate that a cyclist does not have to ride on a shoulder and may occupy as much of a lane as necessary to avoid any obstacles of any kind in or near that shoulder. Anyone in a vehicle is required to share the road with that cyclist in a safe manner, only passing the cyclist when it is safe and legal to do so. Drivers need to learn the laws and respect them--as do cyclists. No one in a car should be in a big enough hurry in life to kill someone on a bike because they were in the way and no one on a bike should blatantly break the traffic laws.
When I ride, I attempt to be as curtious to drivers as possible, however I will take as much road as i require to safely ride. If a driver has a problem with that and attempts to yell, gesture or run me off the road... that is both inappropriate and ignorant.
As in the rest of life, some drivers and some cyclists create problems for everyone by not following the rules.
Share the road - educate the masses.
Cheers,
~ZHMontana
Old 03-06-2006, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's all well and good - but the crazy cyclist shouldn't be lying about physical contact...

...that didn't occur. _That's_ also a crime.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have a point, but in Wa it's slower traffic cannot impead faster traffic. I have respect for the

cyclist to use as much road as he needs. But sometimes it requires the bicyclist to use restraint as to the amount of road he needs. I was in no hurry and was patiently waiting until he rode closer to the side of the road. In this case, he wasn't fighting over space but over the fact that I honked my horn because he wasn't paying attention and to prevent any encounter. I was beside him when he started over. There was no question as to the amount of distance between us. In Mercer Island here in Wa, there are very heated discussions regarding bicyclists and cars. The roads are very twisty and steep. Bicyclists ride three and four wide even with a bike lane and do not let motorists by.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and in a 4 lane road, shouldn't be swerving to the left lane with the intent of blocking someone.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a pic of the street to give the audience some perspective.

<ul><li><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fauntleroy+Street,+Seattle,+WA&amp;t=h&amp; ll=47.554294,-122.3814&amp;spn=0.001294,0.002494&amp;t=h">clicky </a></li></ul>
Old 03-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agreed, however both of those were in response to what sounds like a lot of harrasment from drivers.

still not right for him to do either.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A car approaching a cyclist should never honk, the most likely response of the cyclist is to...

swerve right into traffic or off the road, neither of which will have a good outcome
Old 03-06-2006, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Then what do you feel is an appropiate response to someone who isn't paying attention?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default slow down, stop if necessary, proceed when safe to do so...

it is unfortunate that they are not paying attention, but not worth chancing killing or injuring someone to snap them out of it.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just another "purist" a-hole giving cycling a bad name

Quick Reply: Here's a wonderful whimsicle story of road-rage - Bicycle vs. Audi in an all out fight to the death!