Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Holy shniky....what a "drive" last night.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy shniky....what a "drive" last night.....

I'm used to slipping and sliding around corners or turns and have usually no fear if it comes to moving a Rally car at full pace.
Well, let me tell you; it's a entirely different game with the allroad having the ESP off and 255 sized tires riding on dry pavement.

I've been trying hard to follow a friend with his 480HP EvoVIII, nicely done and wicked fast. He actually lowered the suspension and improved the handling quite a bit - impressive car!

There are a few nicely bent exit ramps on 287 and Rt1 that can be taken between 60-80MPH around Edison (if you know the roads) and he was pushing this Evo to it's limits.
On a few occasions there was such understeer that I decided to turn off the ESP. And that really does it, the car will do "Quattro-drifting" even though it's a heavy beast.

But honestly, it's quite a challenge, hard to control and requires a well developed "Butt-Dyno". Actually a bit too dangerous for my own taste, a small elevation change or little hole in the road could upset the balance in a way that the allroad could flip over, at least that what it feels like at higher speeds (BTDT with Rally cars).
Luckely, that didn't happen and we drifted only 3 or 4 times before I lifted off the throttle and let the Evo go.

The weight difference between the Evo and the ar is "only" around 1000 pounds, not even to mention the shorter wheel base; but after all it was worth it. "No way your allroad can keep up with the Evo, impossible" - but the ar did, at least to the time when I decided to lift off and lower the risk.

Now the tires need some attention and I really have to get new control arms.
My Buddy in the Passenger seat (who requested to keep it up) needs new diapers or so and he just un-volunteered to become Navigator in the Rally car...I wonder why ;-)

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless there is snow on the ground or you run on narrow and hard tires ;-)
Just thought I share this little story...time for bed.....cheers! ;-)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Hope your tires look better than these...

Dunno if y'all have already enjoyed this RS6 video. If you are pressed for time, just watch the beginning and end. Yes, a stock RS6 can be abused around Nurburgring and turn reasonable lap times, but there's a cost. 'Hello? Tire Rack?...'<ul><li><a href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7962212050929574608">http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7962212050929574608</a</li></ul>
Old 08-05-2006, 07:05 AM

Default This RS6 guy was riding curbs in the wrong place, the N-Ring will eat every tire - fast ;-)

But mine didn't look as bad, just a bit less profile on the outside of each tire.....but more grip on dry surface now ;-)
Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM

Sounds like fun. I'm content with sticky driving, or I'd have gotten something else