Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

How *should* dealer resolve front end wobble/brake vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How *should* dealer resolve front end wobble/brake vibration?

I have a 2003 ar w/ 14k miles. I have the fabled 'tire wobble between 45 and 65mph. The brakes also vibrate like crazy when applied at highway speed. This is NOT what I would expect from a 45K car.

My question before I go back to the dealer: what should I expect them to try and do? Weasel out of the issue by blaming Pirelli and saying that the brakes are 'operating within parameters', OR, do the right thing and fix the *#&@&@ problems. Advice?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like warped rotors. My dealer replaced at 10k service w/ no hassle.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How *should* dealer resolve front end wobble/brake vibration?

Id like to hear from the forum as well - I have the same problem at 5K - vibration when I drive at 45-65 also it seems like there is play in the steering - when I turn it right slightly at low speeds I get the same vibration - when I turn the wheel left slighly at low speed its OK - weird but only happens to the right. To add insult to injury I also get vibration when braking.
It could be a combination of 1) bad sterring /driveshaft balance 2) Tires being out of round (they have been balanced twice) and 3) rotors warped.
Amazing such an expensive car can have all these problems in such a short time - especially as its not modded and not raced
Old 06-11-2003, 03:05 PM

Default You're assuming something....

...that they actually know how to fix it! My 2002 ar has had this problem pretty much since new. The first two times they used the "unable to duplicate" response. The third time, they rebalanced the wheels. (No, it didn't help)

The fourth time, at 8k, they found the front discs runout to be just beyond specs and replaced them. Of course they didn't do the pads, and the brakes squealed for the next 300 miles. Oh, they also dropped 8-10 psi out of the tires, perhaps in an effort to mask the wobble?

Now at 11k the wobble remains, the brakes seem to be warped again since I get a wiggle (different from the wobble!) under braking.

I'm trying to persuade myself to buy new tires since some have suggested the stock tires may be partly responsible. I only have 19 months left on the lease so I don't really feel like a blowing $500 unless it will fix the problem for good.

This and the stupid tip lag problem spoil an otherwise excellent vehicle.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So far my dealer has been very responsive.

They changed the rotors at 12k, I installed new wheels and tires at 16k. Now at 20k the wobble is comming back. When I mention it to the service rep, His responce was bring it in when you can. There now looking at the steering rack. This may be a dumb question: Is this only happening to the allroad? More at 11.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:45 PM

Rotors are a known weak point and, based on your description, could easily be part of your problem.

I had the dreaded wobble from the begining. Replaced the Pirelli's (not it). Went to the dealer and got the same excusses the first couple of times as S IV did. Tried to explain to them that some with this problem had the TCM replaced which cleared it up. They did not go for it.

They finally reproduced the problem and replaced my front drive shafts (nope, the wobble is still there). They eventually replaced the TCM and the problem disappeared -- go figure. It has not been back since. Of course, this has not worked for everyone that has had the wobble and had the TCM replaced.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Sounds like you need at least new rotors

That should take care of the wobble under braking at high speed...mine were replaced with pads under warranty without any hassle. The other part is more difficult... if the 45 mph wobble remains after rotor replacement, the problem may be caused or amplified by tires/TCM/driveshaft or the great unknown. Mine reduced considerably after tire replacement, high-speed road force tire balancing and alignment. But it's still there, sometimes more sometimes less obvious. Have not tried TCM replacement yet. Since the wobble is much less obvious when in 4th gear in auto mode (and the car is more responsive, too) I often end up driving in 4 instead D when in traffic with speed in the 45 mph range.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The dealer has been extremely good & replaced my pads & rotors 3 times. All the 2.7t have had rotor issues, not just the Allroads. Audi is well aware of the problem & fixed it no questions asked !I have a 2001 Allroad. It has about 32,000 miles on it. Also switched to Michelin Pilot Alpins when the Pirelli Allrods gave up about 25k. What an improvemnt!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Your dealer should replace both the pads and rotors.

Mine just replaced the pads and rotors with no questions asked. As others have said, it is a common problem and they should know about it. Make sure you get both the pads and rotors changed at the same time. They will perform better it you do both. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Interesting

I had same issues, wobble at 40-50 and the shudder when braking at speed. Rear rotors were turned, braking shudder disappeared. Mech and Svc Mgr both said that once that's done, rotors behave really well until the end of their service life (we'll see). both (independently) said that if you replace, same issue occurs again, so best idea is to turn them. (brake lathe, here we come). w/regard to the 40-50 wobble, i haven't driven it enuf since service (AR is HER car, my TT gets its first new cluster tomorrow <sigh&gt, but i'll let y'all know if that's gone away or not. interesting note on the TCM. mebbe i'll take those posts in with me tomorrow when i get the cluster changed on the TT and will see what they say. Cheers! JOhn

Quick Reply: How *should* dealer resolve front end wobble/brake vibration?