Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

How dumb can I get?...FOLLOWUP

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How dumb can I get?...FOLLOWUP

In order to save money and do it myself, I decieded to rotate the tires on my own. I jacked up the right side of my wife's ar up on the supplied emergency jacks. One from my a4 and one from my wife's ar. You know what happenend next. BAM! The car dropped onto the brake rotors on the concrete garage floor. What potential damage could this have caused and how much $$$? What long term things are there to look our for? How can I cure myself of such stupidity? I was able to get the tires back on after borrowing a neighbors floor jack and am waiting on the tow truck to take it to the dealership for the once over.
Thanks in advance for your humor, advice and suggestions.
JUST back from the dealership. No damage done other than a bent rear brakedust cover. My wife says that it drives just great. I had them change the oil, and rotate the left side tires. Thanks for your words of encouragement & prayers. Very blessed again. Remember, have it in parking brake, use a real jack, block the wheels, and think think think.....
Old 05-02-2004, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Highly doubt any damage was done. Did you neglect to block the tires? How did

the car fall down?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The jack can't hold the entire side of the car..

Even with the air of another. But.. there should not be any damage. Just put the ries on and drive.

Check the brakes first. nut all should be fine...
Old 05-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: The jack can't hold the entire side of the car..

I had the parking brake on and used a jack on each lift point. I disengaged the brake and the car slipped backwards, twisted the jacks fell onto the floor. I did not have it blocked. Thanks for your reply. I'm still having it checked out to be safe. After all, it is my wife's car!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:28 PM

Default I agree with you, good idea to have it checked, however

I doubt you caused any damage really...except maybe slight damage to the rotors that hit the ground. Knowing the underside of the car very, very well, my money is on no damage at all from just having it fall to the ground. I have heard of worse that caused no damage what so ever.

For example, a lowered S4 with Stoptecks lost it's front driver wheel on a spirited drive here locally, the rotor dug into the ground and the car slid like that for about 40 feet. Minor body damage due to the car ressing on the ground in the front (real low to the ground to begin with) but the rotor was surprisingly without damage....from what I understand.

let us know how it turns out.

cheers
jon
Old 05-02-2004, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check out my sig, H-sport install. Those floor jacks hold 3.5 tons each and cost $65 at Costco. The

right tool for the job is essential. I know this is after the fact but I have also learned the hard way. If you are going to do it yourself then invest in some tools so you can be safe. The car may be OK but it could have been worse!!! Your hand, leg etc.
Consider yourself really lucky.
Sorry dude!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, but it can hold a corner, therefore two jacks should hold

up one side of the car. That's why I suspected the car had rolled, as apparently it did.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hey, your sig kinda reminds me of someones.........;-)
Old 05-03-2004, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why did you disengage the parking brake?

In any case, I hope all is well with your AR.

Dealer here charges me like $15 to rotate the tires, which I have them do whenever the car is in for service (i.e. oil change). I do manage to work in another rotation (and oil change) in between so that the rotations occur every 5k miles.

Good Luck!
Gavin
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jacking Geometry:

Our jack... like most is made to hold the car up, with THREE SOLD CONTACTS PATCHES remaining.
The three point hold is very strong. Going to two jacks eliminates contact patches of the Triangle (3 tires) It would be inherently weaker and the result is the result.

Quick Reply: How dumb can I get?...FOLLOWUP