Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

If I disable the TPMS can I use the older sat radio module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I disable the TPMS can I use the older sat radio module?

A search brought up the solution to my recurring TPMS problem. Between taking back to the deal, again, to attempt another fix I'd rather disable it.

I also found an XM module, one that only works with the non-TPMS equipped cars for so cheap I bought it on the chance I could figure this out.

It would seem that the TPMS simply used what had been the part of the wiring that previously controlled the tuning on the sat radio. So if I disable the TPMS is there a way to reroute the wiring to the head unit the way it would have been without TPMS?

I know this isn't strictly an allroad question, but you guys are generally smarter than the C5 group, right?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No, the wiring is completely separate. The issue addresses coding on the CAN bus that the TPMS uses.

There was a issues with the programming on the Sat module that the TMPS module also shares causing confusion between the two. They use a different Sat module for TPMS to prevent this.

Wiring is the same for both.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What were the TPMS gremlins?

I am curious as I am looking at adding an OEM retrofit to my 01 AR. If you ever decide to pull your system out of the car let me know I would be interested in the components.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM

nuts... I mean thanks for saving me the aggravation of trying to figure it out
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Default I don't think it's possible to pull the TPMS system out

there are sensors in each wheel, but the system itself is integrated with the onboard diagnostics. The warning that the system was not functioning kept coming on. My dealer replaced one sensor, but that only reduced the not functioning warning to about 50% of the time. Actually, when I make longer trips it tends to work, i.e. no warning display. But my daily commute is about 10 minutes and towards the end of the week, I get the warning display more frequently. Weekends when I make longer trips it doesn't give the warning. Over all it's just not worth the trouble. How hard is it to check your tire pressure regularly? I could easily give up the system in trade for a much cheaper Sat module, but alas, I cannot make that trade. My system is inherently flawed. It's too hard to justify spending full price for Sat radio with a 10 minute commute.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I don't think it's possible to pull the TPMS system out

Interesting, your problem that is. Almost seems if you can keep the temp up in the tire the air may expand enough to keep it above the warning level. I am curious on the system, do the OEM system show you temp and pressure in each wheel? I have never seen the system used.

I know the parts needed, I have the wheel sensors already and might have a lead on the receivers for each wheel then all that is left is the main receiver and control box plus the center consule controler.

Have you checked out navplus.us for an XM module that will work with your setup?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is there any fault code in the TPMS? What is the software coding of your TPMS? Could you post the

measuring block 001, 004, 007, 010 of your TPMS when the tires are cold?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Probably a silly question, but have you thought of just turning off TPMS?

The directions are in the manual. It is what I do when I have my winter wheels on the car.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It took me about 6 months to locate all the parts for my SAT system. Got a brand new sirius for $220

Just keep looking, you'll find one cheap.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 AM

don't have vag-com, yet

Quick Reply: If I disable the TPMS can I use the older sat radio module?