Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Inner front joints...finally dying at nearly 200K

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inner front joints...finally dying at nearly 200K

Anyone got any good used ones around? Both sides are symptomatic...it's not worth buying new from a stealer at this point (stealer never is a good option really I guess)

Got a favorite vendor I should look at? LMK I'm big on word of mouth stuff from other owners. OE or aftermarket, it doesn't matter to me.

I got no complaints btw, my friend's 05' with 60K just had the same problem he said.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What inner joints are you asking about? Inner CV joints? Inner control arm joints?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Inner CVs, sorry

Usually the outers die, click , etc ; mine are fine...it's the inners that are causing the driveablity issues (whining, wobbly feeling).
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I replaced my PS front with a rebuilt one with one from Raxles. Great guy and very easy to work with. When you order one he will send you the replacement axle and the special tools required (if you need them). He also sends a return shipping slip to return your original axle as a core. He won't charge you for the core like many places do. He only accepts OEM cores though so make sure that yours are OEM. I think that it was $200 for my one axle and they have a lifetime warranty, I believe.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you...I ordered the re-built ones from 'Raxles'. $219 each side.

These should last the car another 200K !
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You know, people complain about how expensive raxles are... but at only $220 or so, you get both OEM CV joints and axle, and there are plenty of parts that cost more.

It's the way to go, IMO, if you're wanting the setup to last another 100K+

The only alternative is to buy both inner and outer CV joints and retrofit yourself...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raxles really worth it?

I have a hard time believing the $200 Raxles are worth it. I need to replace a front axle on my AR which has 160,000 miles on the clock, and from what I can tell it's the OEM axle - the outer boot is torn. So I can buy an reman axle (CV Technologies, or A1-Cardone) for $60 exchange or a Raxle for $200. The reman may have slightly looser splines or thinner races, but the boots and grease are probably the same quality as the Raxles - so why pay three times as much? If I get 40-50,000 miles out of it - money well spent! Realistically, I probably won't keep the car over 200,000, so the perceived longer life is irrelevant to me.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, I know it's just a torn boot, but I hate rebuilding CV axles. So much easier and time effective to replace the whole thing.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TxM_AR
I have a hard time believing the $200 Raxles are worth it. I need to replace a front axle on my AR which has 160,000 miles on the clock, and from what I can tell it's the OEM axle - the outer boot is torn. So I can buy an reman axle (CV Technologies, or A1-Cardone) for $60 exchange or a Raxle for $200. The reman may have slightly looser splines or thinner races, but the boots and grease are probably the same quality as the Raxles - so why pay three times as much? If I get 40-50,000 miles out of it - money well spent! Realistically, I probably won't keep the car over 200,000, so the perceived longer life is irrelevant to me.
There's an adage, you get what you pay for. Are you going to do the labour yourself?

Many had very limited life out of aftermarket cv joints. Don't be surprised if they don't last till 200K.

But then, someone did have an issue with Raxles and the car's ABS sensor. The good news? They stand by their product, and Marty gave a full refund. Mind you, this was an exceptional case.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes, but....

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
There's an adage, you get what you pay for. Are you going to do the labour yourself?

Many had very limited life out of aftermarket cv joints. Don't be surprised if they don't last till 200K.

But then, someone did have an issue with Raxles and the car's ABS sensor. The good news? They stand by their product, and Marty gave a full refund. Mind you, this was an exceptional case.
Yes, in most cases you get what you pay for, but the automotive aftermarket is riddled with high-priced parts with very little engineering backing - not saying that about Raxles, as I have no experience with their product. In the end it is a balance between sound engineering principles and economics of return. It sounds to me like service is a major part of the cost.

I am the labor cost, and my enjoyment is the return. If I spend $60 on an axle that lasts 40,000 mi - that's a pretty good cost per mile. If I spend $200 on an axle and sell the car after 40,000 mi - that is a higher cost per mile. Even if the $60 axle only lasts 20,000 mi and is replaced by another $60 axle that lasts 20,000 mi - my cost per mile is still better. The engineering behind a reman axle is sound and adequate for a stock vehicle.

Quick Reply: Inner front joints...finally dying at nearly 200K