Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Inquiry about battery voltage malfunction (longish story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inquiry about battery voltage malfunction (longish story)

While on a trip to Colorado, I had the following strange series of events with our allroad (5,000 miles on it). First, I noticed that the red background lighting in the stereo panel, and in the area around the sunroof was not working at night. Figuring it was a blown fuse, I narrowed down which one needed to be switched (the allroad comes with two spare fuses, of different amps, f.y.i.). Before I could do anything, the Auto-Check System started to display a big Yellow battery symbol. According to the manual, this means "Battery voltage is too low/high." At the same time, the top line of the Odometer (where trip odometer is normally displayed) started to indicate "FUSE", and the clock and date became inoperative (they returned to default settings of 12:00 and Jan. 1, 1999). The voltmeter also was reading 8 volts, which is the lowest setting (or else it was just not working and was stuck at lowest setting). Finally, the lights indicating the suspension levels were not on at all.

According to the manual, this Yellow Symbol is a "priority 2" warning symbol, and I should see my dealer "promptly." The problem was that I was at least 290 miles from the closest Audi dealer, and 230 miles from home. To make this long story short, I drove home with the battery at 8 volts, but didn't use any electrical components (no a.c., no stereo, no lights, and tried to keep the suspension from lowering (stayed under 75, more or less. I am wondering, has anyone experienced anything similar??? Could we have used the a.c., stereo? Finally, does the suspension still operate, even though the lights on the dashboard are not indicating the level or any level changes?

We did make it home safely, and will take the car to the dealer tomorrow for the 5000 service and a thorough check of all things electrical. Think I'll get a loaner?
Old 06-17-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good practice to minimize electrical load under such conditions...

Better that than being stuck in Timbuktu. By the way, this is standard emergency procedure for small planes with electrical failures.