Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Insurance marketing question/survey...not directly ar related

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance marketing question/survey...not directly ar related

Folks, what influences your auto/home insurance buying decisions? Is it solely price? Are you more inclined to buy from a local agent or are you buying online from the big "directs". Is there any "fear of the unknown" about switching to a new insurer? As many of you know, I'm an independent insurance agent and in a "fact finding" mode to generate more business. What's tough to swallow is, most of us independent agents have much better prices and far better service than the Gekko's of the world but can't compete with there advertising budgets.. I have tough skin...give it to me straight... Thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto drives it...

Historically my auto coverage has been much mroe expensive than homeowners, so that drives the vendor. The insurer must have a solid reputation for claims handling. The agent has to leave me feeling that he has my interests in mind equal to or more than the insurer's - and that feeling typically develops over time. I also change insurance carriers *very* infrequently, because I seem to get speeding tickets just frequently enough (one every year or two) that changing would put me in a higher bracket (but staying with the current carrier they don't look for / find the ticket and adjust premiums).

In general I have major negative feelings for the auto and homeowners insurance industry so I have as little contact with it as possible. I've been with State Farm now since ~1993.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd what he just said.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Auto..

I like dealing with one contact. In my case its been Geico for 22 years. I have shopped and no one can come close item for item dollar for dollar and C/S with anything and claims is 100%.

While they originally wrote Homeowners, they sold that line and now act as the broker for the travelers policy that the Geico policy became.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Service, Support and Coverage, what will you get for the Money...

Honestly, this Insurance system is kind of odd, no real reduction in premium payments. Back home I could at least look forward to get reduced from 125% down to 25% over a few years if the record was kept clean. That makes all the difference in what car you could buy/afford. With hitting a constant low of 25% over 5 Years I had one "freebee", meaning that I would not get punished/raised by the Insurance company if I slipped once, speeding or accident or whatever.

So I'm stuck with NJCURE, not too bad but it's not really personal, everything over the phone and no Web features for payments or renewal. In that case I'd rather have a "go-to" Agent to take time to discuss certain parts of the Policy.

And my final recommendation; transfer Insurance History from Countries that equal or exceed US driving standards and Policies, inclusive the point record and the last Insurance percentage rate (I'd drive an Aston Martin today if that was the case ;-)

There are bad drivers all over the planet coming to the US, wouldn't it good to know about them in the first place? The International License issued by European Countries is valid here for 6 weeks, why is that so? The answer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, because there is no other real reason...IMHO ;-)

Sorry if it sounds like a Rant....
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Price. I switched insurers 18 months ago. Reasons... (long-again)

I was in a motorcycle accident in july of 04 - some one (in an A4!!!) turned left through stopped traffic. totaled my bike. I was basically unhurt. It was declared her fault, and her insurance payed. Foremost insurance's claims handler took really good care of me, and paid well. All good, right?

No. Despite Foremost's repeated assurances that my premium wouldn't change, they mysteriously DOUBLED my premium four months later. I spoke to several employees up the food chain and I got obfuscating answers from "I don't know why" to "We just reassessed rates for your zip code." When I asked what parameters changed they could not tell me. I started shopping. I didn't see why an insurance pay-out on an act of god should really be a loan paid back with higher premiums. Total BS.

I went to AAA and found that not only was I getting raped by Foremost, but 21st Century auto had over the years creeped my rates up to ridiculous levels - essentially penalizing loyalty. AAA covered my bike and my car for what I was paying 21st for just the car.

My point: I want my claims handled with competence. I don't want to be robbed afterwards. And I won't reward a corporation with loyalty that seeks to take advantage of that loyalty by assuming you're a lazy SOB.

Everyone here should shop insurance every 24 months. And because I'm going to shop around every 24 months, I'll go with majors, unless local agent really does a hard sell - if I even come across one.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Price, I think that the internet really helps the majors, Although I have Erie through an agent for

everything except my motorcycle. Progressive is cheaper there although I don't really like the fact that their President contributed 2 million dollars to legalize marijuana. Not that I'm for or against marijuana, I just don't want to pay for its legalization.

Seriously though, I would recommend Erie's auto and home prices if they are available.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Price and Customer Service

I've been with USAA for 17 years and have never had a single complaint with them. My rate is competiteve and I get a divdend (aka refund) at the end of the year. Customer service is 24/7, not outsourced to a foreign call center and it's an overall phenominal company to deal with. One final thing, I have very, very high customer service expectations.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When I was shopping around for AR insurance, price was very important, but

having A FREINDLY PERSON answer the phone instead of a computer was a major factor too.

As it turned out it was an easy decision, Farmers provided the cheapest rates, fastest/easiest quotes and were very friendly.

And! whenever I call them, a person who is knowlegable, friendly and willing to help asnwers the phone.

I was so impressed I moved all my insurance (truck, motorcyle, home) to them. And my rates when down in every case.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had USAA since I was a teenager on an ROTC scholarship. Never have even looked anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Insurance marketing question/survey...not directly ar related