Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Just test drove - impressions vs. '00 2.7t w UUC

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove - impressions vs. '00 2.7t w UUC

I found a 6-speed AR in town today and drove it on my way home from work. I was comparing it to my 6-speed '00 2.7t. Overall I was very impressed.
Pros: This car does NOT feel very heavy or much heavier than the A6 2.7t. The acceleration feel is very similar - maybe a tad more sluggish but still the fun. Also - the one they had was in black. I had ruled this out (and decided silver) even though my '00 is black, because I thought the AR looked goofy (too narrow and tall) in black in pics. It looked a lot sharper in person - I'm considering that now.
Cons: The interior just isn't as nice as mine. The platinum isn't as nice looking as my melange. The seats are better than the normal a6 seats (which I really dislike) but still nowhere near my sport seats. The sport seats and 6 speed are essential to this car. Mine was around 44k, and after driving loaners with tip and non-sport seats, I'd say I wouldn't take them for 10k less - makes it a totally different car.
The shifter *** was a little disappointing. Small ball shifter more like an A4. My A6 has a more solid integrated feel to it. Lastly, the shift reduction kit. I put my UUC in about 2 years ago. I couldn't really tell too much of a difference when I first put it in, and I've been wanting since then to try the original again to make a comparison. WOAH! I feel like I'm churning butter with that thing! It's a nightmare. I'd consider putting the shift reduction kit in more urgent than getting insurance. Night and day difference. For those searching on it, the shift reduction kit is ALL good, and nothing bad. It has no downside. Zero effort increase - it's like making a pencil an ounce heavier - who cares?
Another potential bad part - I have a phatbox (phatnoise.com) mp3 changer that connects to my factory audi changer harness. With the new 6 disc changer, I assume such a connection doesn't exist any more?
Conclusion - very compelling car. No brainer if I had more snow. Just need to figure out if it is cheaper in the long run to keep my car as the warranty expires in 8k miles, or to get a new AR.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Just test drove - impressions vs. '00 2.7t w UUC

The plug is still there in 2002, that's where my second CD changer is hooked up.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

interesting wheels in that pic. Not usual double spokers?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:42 AM

Double spokes with the hub cap removed for winter
Old 02-21-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Just test drove - impressions vs. '00 2.7t w UUC

That's good. If you have 2 changers you can definitely answer my question. I didn't see a "CDC" changer control-type button on the head unit. How do you activate it?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:53 AM

Default They are the double spokes with the second spoke removed

I would think that the wheel would loose its strength along with its weight.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 AM

Wouldn't this solve the issue of snow collecting between
Old 02-21-2003, 03:43 PM

Nope, Hubcaps weigh about two pounds and are only bolted to the surface
Old 02-21-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Push the cd button on the original control head I believe it will control 4-6 additional

stock type CD changers in series, if you can figure how to wire them. It automaticly recognizes the new CD changers. I think this is because it works with Nav and phone and whatever else, it allows input from anything on the bus.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Push the cd button on the original control head I believe it will control 4-6 additional

When you push CD Button It will say CD 1. Push it againd and it says CDC1. When you have another changer hooked up!

Quick Reply: Just test drove - impressions vs. '00 2.7t w UUC