Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

looking to buy a an 01 allroad w/80k miles on it and got a couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a an 01 allroad w/80k miles on it and got a couple of questions.

As for the testdrive, the engine and tranny seems to be pretty solid. No leaks anywhere that I can see and the price seems to be very attractive.

There are a few issues on the car and would like to know from the AR gurus here what they think.

First, the air suspension got some issue. The air suspension light blinks yellow for a good minute then it becomes solid. At this point, ESP can't be shut off. I believe you can still switch the level but the height would not change. The dealership says that it's the compressor.

Second, the tiptronic shifter is iffy. Sometimes it work sometimes it doesnt. Did this happen to anybody? If out of tip mode, the car shifts normally.

I search the archive about the suspension but can't find anything about the tip issue. Do you think this is an easy fix or it's a beginning of a whole world of problem.

Any kind of response would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FWIW, I don;t think the shifting issue is a symptom of our famous TC problems

I've seen some posts indicating it could be a problem with the switch.

Sounds like you have a good candidate for the coil over mod.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NYC_S...if it were me...

I'd be taking this ar to KMD to diagnose.

The air compressor is 1000.00 +, and the trany ecu or the trany is even more...
Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Default The tiptronic shifter (main shift lever) contains a computer/switch board, it could well be that the

contacts are either worn out of just plain dirty. You said the transmission seems to work fine otherwise and only in tip mode she is acting up, so worth a shot and clean out the board.

Is the dealer actually sure about the compressor or are they guessing to make a buck?

It could well be that only one of the ride height sensors is faulty, it's a wear and tear item that costs about $100.00 and is DIY in 15 minutes.
Might be worth to check the entire Suspension per VAG for codes, they'll usually tell the whole story.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the response. got a few more question...

Knowing that this car has this issue, what would be a good price to offer the dealership? is $10/$11k doable for this car and to get it back into working order?

We know how to wrench on it so labor cost will probably not an issue.

Im thinking... if it is just a compressor issue, is it worth fixing the compressor and later on worry about the airbag suspension or just swap out to coilover immediately and eliminate the whole air suspension biz.

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the dealership diagnose the issue and found it to be the compressor. then again

I dont know how credible their repair shop is.

This car doesnt come with any warranty so is it worth jumping into this car?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Default It's a matter how bad you want this car; Personally, I wouldn't buy a car that's obviously broken

What strikes me odd is that the dealer doesn't just fix it and then sells it.

Or ask the dealer about the cost of fixing it and add it to the price, if it's still attractive then you'll get at least some warranty on the new parts.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Arrange another test drive and VAG it back home, you'll be able to make a better decision and

perhaps save yourself some headaches in a long run.
She can be a PIA if not well taken care of and drain your wallet quickly.
The dealer will certainly tell you only the car's history if it meets their objectives.

Moving to a coil-over suspension is something that has started over here to a good extend, higher mileage ar's are a bit more prone to faulty air bags or compressors, wear and tear cases.

Most people leave around 3K on the side just in case these things happen. A coil-over setup would certainly eliminate that.