Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Lower Control Arms, or just the bushings???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arms, or just the bushings???

I recently finished swapping out the struts (Bilstiens from Arnott) and front upper control arm bushings (BMA Parts). The ride is amazingly better and the handling is there, too, but over swales and uneven pavement, it feels like the two front wheels have minds of their own. Mind you, the tires are worn as well, but I don't think the tires are making the car wander around like it is.

My question is what are my options for either lower control arms, or lower control arm bushings. Do I have to replace all four of the control arms ($300-ish a side) or can I just do the fronts or backs? Is there an option out there for just replacing the bushings? I'm sure I can find someone around here to press them in for me. Just need to know what's availabe and who has had good luck doing what.

Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might be able to replace just the bushings if you can source some, however, keep in mind that the ball joints are attached to the arm, so you have to replace the whole thing.
and its best to do all 4 of them, chances are they are all but completely gone

finding the lower arms at a good price will be hard, i got a kit from the dealer for everything, upper & lower arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends for 400 george washingtons.

like they say, its not what you know, but who you know
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaperToast
you might be able to replace just the bushings if you can source some, however, keep in mind that the ball joints are attached to the arm, so you have to replace the whole thing.
and its best to do all 4 of them, chances are they are all but completely gone

finding the lower arms at a good price will be hard, i got a kit from the dealer for everything, upper & lower arms, sway bar links, tie rod ends for 400 george washingtons.

like they say, its not what you know, but who you know

Wow! The cheapest I've found lowers is through BMA Parts for $140 (rear) and $150 (front) each. But they do carry the bushings alone as well. There are two in the front arm and one more in the rear arm. The fronts are $8 each and the rear bushing is $28. Now all I need to find is someone to press them out and back in for me.