Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

This may be a dumb question, but, regarding exhaust, can too little back pressure cause a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default This may be a dumb question, but, regarding exhaust, can too little back pressure cause a problem?

What effect does removing the center mufflers/resonator and replacing with straight pipes have, other than increasing noise? How does this affect the cats and turbos?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cause a problem?

Not realy. But the reduced back pressure may lower you low-end-tork pre-boost.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your turbos create as much back pressure as you want already.

My APR catback, hi flow mufflers and resonators gave me roughly 10hp to the wheels. Love the sound and I don't feel I lost anything.

I believe removing the crap resonator is a great way to go and cheap!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The very general answer is, it depends on engine tuning, and the desired power band location...

Example: Sometimes the system is tuned such that an exhaust back-pressure wave reaches the cylinders as the piston approaches top-dead-center. This back pressure then helps accellerate the piston during the intake phase, where it would otherwise have relied on momentum from the crankshaft/flywheel to carry it down. It's an evolutionary sort of tuning that happens in racing... not sure that our production engine is so finely honed.

But with our engines, people seem to have Dyno evidence to support the claims of HP gain with lower exhaust back pressure. Can't argue with the dyno. =)
Old 02-19-2003, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have already installed the MTM system...

and I am so far quite pleased. The finish and fit are excellent, the system looks awesome and there is a noticeable improvement, seat of the pants wise, with throttle response. But I have run into a problem: my baby's found her voice, and now I want MORE! The improved sound is subtle, but intoxicating. I wondered, I guess only half seriously, what the straight pipes would add or detract.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is the system allroad specific? i.e. do the exhaust tips take into account the shorter bumper?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

downpipes : )
Old 02-19-2003, 02:01 PM

Default you will pickup more midrange and top end

If your moving up from a stock exhaust, and your chipped; then you will be very very happy with the result.

Talk more with Milpitas, he has the mod-fever, so he can give you alot of allroad-specific experience.

On an Allroad, I'd bet a set of piggie-pipes, high flow cats, and a dual 2.5 straight pipe arrangement would be a bullseye.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. Tip length extruding from rear valence is the same as stock. I did not like the long APR tips
Old 02-19-2003, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! That was my concern with the APR muf also...

Did you do exhaust only, or exhaust + goodies?

Quick Reply: This may be a dumb question, but, regarding exhaust, can too little back pressure cause a problem?