Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

My take on Skip Barber High Perf. Driving School (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My take on Skip Barber High Perf. Driving School (very long)

The quick answer is if you have the means, take this course, it was fantastic. The day started with 20 minutes of classroom instruction on the physics of how and why the car does what it does in acceleration, braking turning etc. The rest of the time you are behind the wheel.

First session -- SKIDPAD, hop in a BMW M3 and try to take wet hairpins at 50 mph in second gear. Learn and experience understeer and oversteer. Your instructor is nice enough to do a few e-brake pulls on ya to see how you recover.

Second Session -- PANIC BRAKING in the Porsche Boxter. Accelerate to 40 mph and panic brake before the end of the course. Not difficult, but what you learn is even the slightest move of the steering wheel, and your ABS computer backs off the brakes hard, thereby increasing stopping distance significantly.

Third Session -- AUTOCROSS, take a few laps in the M3 and experience the ideal racing line. Then hop into the Porsche Carrera and take a few more laps. Once you think you mastered the course, you take a few laps in the Viper RT/10. You really see how much all the stability electronics in the BMW and Porsche help you. The Viper is stripped of electronics with the exception of ABS. That car is a beast.

LUNCH BREAK -- mmmmmm, pulled pork sandwich.

Fourth Session -- EMERGENCY LANE CHANGE. back in the Boxsters to push the limits on high speed manuevers. You simulate a panic, 2 lane change at highway speed multiple times. You learn how bad your reflexes really are.

Fifth Session -- BACK TO SKIDPAD in the M3's and try to induce trailing brake oversteer and oversteer. Basically, you learn how to turn the car without steering.

Sixth Session -- get suited up for a few laps around the Limerock track. Do a ride along w/ the instructors to learn the course then do a few lead-follow laps. I got 4 laps in the Carrera and 4 laps in the M3.

Day ends, try to keep it under 100 mph on the ride home.

For anyone like me who has never been on a track, it was a great experience. You understand the dynamics of your car so much better as well as things like proper course safety and procedure. On top of it all, you get to really drive the hell out of these unbelieveable sports cars. I had the M3 over 115 on the track and the Porsche even higher (no clue how much, couldn't look down at the speedo) The instructors encourage you to push the car to, and beyond its limits in the various drills. It was a ton of fun and was full of great information that can be applied to everyday driving.

Sorry, no pics, battery was dead on the camera.

Car review:
1) M3, amazing handling and power. I was surprised how that car held the wet turns with balding tires. Very Nice Ride

2) Porsche Carrera, WOW, now I understand why people love their Porsches. The car has great power and is incredibly responsive. By far my favorite on the Autocross and Track. Did not come close to reaching the limits of her.

3) Porsche Boxster, Black interior, hot sun and sitting on the engine is a bad combo, would never get one. If you really like it, go with the Boxster S, the regular one is nothing special.

4) Viper RT/10 -- Uncomfortable cockpit and very cramped (I'm not a big guy either) The car is a total beast, unrefined and raw. Have no desire to ever drive it again.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did a Skip Barber at Laguna Seca several years ago as well...a ton of fun

And it was as memorable and educational as your experience.

We didn't have the M3/Porsche (too bad!), but did the Viper on the auto cross (no need for 3rd gear...a ton of power and torque), then did open wheels (w/2.0 liter stock(?) Chrysler Neon engine) around the track.

Laguna Seca is a very fun track, but I couldn't imagine the difficulty of the track under competitive conditions w/higher speeds and passing.

No doubt though, a helluva fun time.