Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need advise, pleae help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgt G
Air suspensions is DIY type repair yes, if you are skilled enough to do a brake job, you can / should be able to repair air suspension yourself.
Agreed. Fronts are particularly easy...backs a little more difficult because of a tight fit when removing/installing the uncompressed shock/air spring combo. The good news is that the fronts are usually the ones which need replacing.

I replaced the front shocks when I replaced the air springs. I probably didn't need to...in retrospect I could have saved $ and just waited until the original shocks got older. I changed air springs when one was leaking overnight. The original air springs had about 112K miles. You can change one front air spring at a time even when you install a non-OEM (i.e., Arnott) air spring. In the rear, changing to the Arnott air spring on one side requires that the other side be changed.

I'm still on the original rear air spring and shock at 129K miles.

Torque converter failures are more common on earlier models.
Agreed. I understand that by 2005 all the Tiptronics came with an improved rotary seal. The earlier seal was the cause of so many failures. My 2002 has its original torque convertor.

Change the Tip fluid when you get the car. Audi says it's lifetime fluid. Don't believe Audi. Read this DIY...

http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 04-17-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
Agreed. Fronts are particularly easy...backs a little more difficult because of a tight fit when removing/installing the uncompressed shock/air spring combo. The good news is that the fronts are usually the ones which need replacing.

I replaced the front shocks when I replaced the air springs. I probably didn't need to...in retrospect I could have saved $ and just waited until the original shocks got older. I changed air springs when one was leaking overnight. The original air springs had about 112K miles. You can change one front air spring at a time even when you install a non-OEM (i.e., Arnott) air spring. In the rear, changing to the Arnott air spring on one side requires that the other side be changed.

I'm still on the original rear air spring and shock at 129K miles.

Agreed. I understand that by 2005 all the Tiptronics came with an improved rotary seal. The earlier seal was the cause of so many failures. My 2002 has its original torque convertor.

Change the Tip fluid when you get the car. Audi says it's lifetime fluid. Don't believe Audi. Read this DIY...

http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/
Good to know, thanks for your help Time...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Got it... Thank you so much for the info. Has anyone added the RNS-E to a non Nav AR? If so what's involved in just the head unit or other stuff?
I did the RNS-E install in my non-Nav 2002 allroad. Actually, it was rather easy. See my post about it:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2062267

In fact, I'm selling that specific RNS-E right now for $900 complete. It works perfect.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have anyone installed this unit on their AR?
http://www.zenec.com/en/products/ego/audi/ze-nc3141d/
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have anyone installed this unit on their AR?
http://www.zenec.com/en/products/ego/audi/ze-nc3141d/
Looks nice, but only for B7 A4, that let's the allroad out.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
Looks nice, but only for B7 A4, that let's the allroad out.
I messaged Zenec and they said this can be adapted to the 4B AllRoad.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still Hunting

Hi Guys, just when I was about to make a decision I ran across a guy next town over that is selling his 2005 AR with 66k miles for cheap 9k. Exterior has minor scratches and one decent size ding. Interior looks unreal with no visible wear and every single thing is working perfectly. Engine sounds extra quite and smooth. Car drives excellent and shifts silky smooth. Air suspension works very good. Now the bad, I asked why is he selling below average? Guy tells me that the car had water damage and was salvage. That struck me odd because this car looks, drives and feel better than the three I have seem before this one. The guy said that the problem were the front drains that leaked water into the car which he has replaced and are working like they should. This one is so tempting, should I run away or investigate some more and do a more detailed inspection? Thank you all.

Last edited by jujuC6; 04-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, just when I was about to make a decision I ran across a guy next town over that is selling his 2005 AR with 66k miles for cheap 9k. Exterior has minor scratches and one decent size ding. Interior looks unreal with no visible wear and every single thing is working perfectly. Engine sounds extra quite and smooth. Car drives excellent and shifts silky smooth. Air suspension works very good. Now the bad, I asked why is he selling below average? Guy tells me that the car had water damage and was salvage. That struck me odd because this car looks, drives and feel better than the three I have seem before this one. The guy said that the problem were the front drains that leaked water into the car which he has replaced and are working like they should. This one is so tempting, should I run away or investigate some more and do a more detailed inspection? Thank you all.
if you run, i will buy it , killer deal just take a vag and hook it up and check all the modules and see if they all work properly.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
if you run, i will buy it , killer deal just take a vag and hook it up and check all the modules and see if they all work properly.
So I shouldn't get too hung up on the water situation on this car given that everything works right? My fear is that Audi is no stranger to electrical problems and adding water to the mix might bite me in the *** later. I do have a Vag and will be bringing it with me if I go back to look at it again. If I scan it and inspect everything very close and all checks out ok, are my chances on the somewhat safe side if the above conditions are met?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Since the water has been drained, and if all the electronics work fine (scan particularly the Comfort module), there's no reason to believe they will stop working. Water either got in and damaged them or it didn't.

What has he replaced? I find it odd that front drain problem would cause the car to be salvaged, so check carefully.

Quick Reply: Need advise, pleae help.