Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Allroad Owner - 2005

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
The consensus is that you cannot tell from the belt whether it's been replaced or not. However, it's not the belt that snaps. Usually it's the rollers that seize up causing the belt to skip, bending valves.

I bought my Allroad with 84K miles and did the timing belt with all the extras (water pump, tensioner, etc) at 91K.

Likely you will be fine for the next 10K miles, but if you're planning on keeping the car, I would recommend a full TB job as the first order of business. They're great cars, but their upkeep is more demanding than many others.
That would explain a lot. Any ques for changing? Noise? Vibrations? I guess listen for the "skipping" you're referring to. I know a newbie question, but every car I've owned has been fairly archaic honestly + the belts have all been accessible (though not easy to change, you could tell tension + cracking issues).

Again. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrancese
That would explain a lot. Any ques for changing? Noise? Vibrations? I guess listen for the "skipping" you're referring to. I know a newbie question, but every car I've owned has been fairly archaic honestly + the belts have all been accessible (though not easy to change, you could tell tension + cracking issues).

Again. Thank you.
No noise cues to "skipping" he mentioned...that would mean jumping time...NOT common, except in the case of a failed tensioner (letting up tension on belt, allowing it to throw a wave and jump teeth)...by the time this happens, you may get low power symptoms (small jump) with misfiring...a big jump would be too late to hear until valves are slapping pistons.

Seized rollers wouldn't cause a timing jump right away, but would rather emit a belt squeal and burning rubber smell. The rollers are in contact with the smooth rear side of the timing belt...not the teeth.

Bearings in a roller failing (before seizing) would make a typical bad bearing sound...moan, grind, etc...

One does NOT listen for visual or noise cues to decide belt change...if you're gonna do it, you do it by age and/or mileage for peace of mind...NOT because you discover some symptom.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
No noise cues to "skipping" he mentioned...that would mean jumping time...NOT common, except in the case of a failed tensioner (letting up tension on belt, allowing it to throw a wave and jump teeth)...by the time this happens, you may get low power symptoms (small jump) with misfiring...a big jump would be too late to hear until valves are slapping pistons.

Seized rollers wouldn't cause a timing jump right away, but would rather emit a belt squeal and burning rubber smell. The rollers are in contact with the smooth rear side of the timing belt...not the teeth.

Bearings in a roller failing (before seizing) would make a typical bad bearing sound...moan, grind, etc...

One does NOT listen for visual or noise cues to decide belt change...if you're gonna do it, you do it by age and/or mileage for peace of mind...NOT because you discover some symptom.
Sounds like a should get that manual + start studying up

I'll see how things go for the next 6 to 9 months. I don't really want to touch the car as far as mods + such for a long while anyways. Just get familiar with it.

But sounds like the TB will be the first on the list.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Speaking of that manual...what is everyones best source for ordering online? There are a ton of links of course, but if there is one site/shop that people find most reputable I will of course always take a reference.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am probably being slightly OCD on this, but I'm noticing a slight lag in the shifting from 1st to 2nd when I first start the car, mostly the worst in the morning right when I first start it. It is a slight (+ I do mean slight, but noticeable) "jerk" from 1st to 2nd that seems to go away once the car warms up. Even as I start it throughout the day it's not even noticeable. Just that first start of the day.

Any remedies or just monitor? Just don't want to miss anything.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am probably being slightly OCD on this, but I'm noticing a slight lag in the shifting from 1st to 2nd when I first start the car, mostly the worst in the morning right when I first start it. It is a slight (+ I do mean slight, but noticeable) "jerk" from 1st to 2nd that seems to go away once the car warms up. Even as I start it throughout the day it's not even noticeable. Just that first start of the day.

Any remedies or just monitor? Just don't want to miss anything.
When the car is cold, it is normal for the transmission to work a little slower. It will hold the first gear longer, and may be slower to change as well.

Especially apparent a temperatures drop closer to freezing.

Some can hve a slightly harder shift, others won't.

Check the level of transmission fluid. Better still - do a transmission oil change along with the filter. Highly recommended every 50K miles.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks as always GTA
Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Trying to keep my questions to one thread. Is the Bentley manual sufficient for my '05 AR or should I go with the CD copy?

I really want a physical copy instead of the DVD version, but seems like that's all there is for the '05.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to keep my questions to one thread. Is the Bentley manual sufficient for my '05 AR or should I go with the CD copy?

I really want a physical copy instead of the DVD version, but seems like that's all there is for the '05.
You want the repair manual on DVD for the C5 platform. I don't know if that exists in printed form. If it does, it spans several volumes, and will cost a pretty penny.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Like I said I'm a newbie...

So let the wife drive the ar around yesterday + she comes home + says "there's a warning light shooting out fluid beeping in your allroad..." Not knowing the warning lights (like I said I'm a newbie + I've had the car for only 2 months) + being a slight hypochondriac I freak out hoping it's what I'm hoping (washer fluid) + nothing serious.

Check the warning lights + it is most certainly just the washer fluid warning light (sigh), but I decide to do a quick run through of the cars fluids + make sure there are no major issues. Everything looks fine + I have just serviced the oil. Close the hood. Next morning I notice this white residue on the outside of the grill:

Seeming weird I pop the hood + notice this:

IMO that doesn't look good though the car is sounding, shifting + acting fine. She's up for a timing change soon + still under warranty for another 3 years so I plan on having this looked at, but I'd like to know how serious it might be + what I might be getting into.

As always thanks again.

Quick Reply: New Allroad Owner - 2005