Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Lease. Does this sound good.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lease. Does this sound good.

I'm trading in my 2001 Allroad lease for a new 2005

My old lease was 39 months, 10k/year @ $521/month

The new lease extended to me for the same car with the same options (with the addition of Parktronic) is:

42 months, 10k/year @ $515/month.
MSRP: $45,820 -- Adj. Cap Cost: $43,930
Residual: 54% / Money Factor .00085
$3561 Down (includes $2029 sales tax which i want rolled into payments, and $750 discoount. for Audi Loyalty)

The dealer is going to waive the last two payments of my current lease when I trade it in early, but i strangely feel like since my new lease is longer, that i'm essentialy still paying for those two payments.

Does the Trade-in payment (usually ~$350) often get waived too?

Any opinions?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No such thing as waiving...

The dealer is paying them and you are financing them in your new lease. I think that the 3561 down is very high.

What are you 'buying' the car for? This should be your starting point, not your monthly.

Perhaps you can post to Kgnast-Nemo4.2 on the NJ/NY forum. He is an Audi Sales guy in Brooklyn. He will gladly coach you as you ar not in his market.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: New Lease. Does this sound good.

I just leased a 05 ar 4.2 last month
42 months
15k per year
2100 down, which included my first month payment
698 per month
this is inclusive of all taxes and applicable fees
Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default take it from an accountant...

don't put anything down on a lease other than fees and destination charges. All you are doing is giving them your money sooner. Still paying the same amount for the car...just looks better because you've lowered your monthly payment with the downpayment. And if you crack up the car leaving the dealership...your down payment is down the tubes since its their car (they get the insurance proceeds).

Don't get pulled into a "monthly pmt" negotiation... determine the sale price of the vehicle and ask for a lease pmt. based on that sale price....then with the residual value, money factor and int. rate you can recalc the lease pmt.

good luck...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default make sure you are aware of what the "buy rate" on the money factor is...

Be aware of whether or not the dealer is marking up the buy-rate...they probably are...and that's OK as long as you know what the buy-rate is and the mark up is acceptable to you. I demand buy-rate when I'm leasing

A good cap cost is worthless if the dealer is sticking it to you on the back end with a hyper inflated money factor.

You should be negotiating purchase price (take rebates, trunk money etc) AND "fees" (make sure they are not putting unnecessary ones into the start up costs of the lease), AND money factor. Term and residual are not negotiable (they are what they are depending on the institution). Negotiate the best deal on the three items that I mentioned and the payment will come from there.

As an example:

YIPEE! Mr. car-buyer negotiated an honest to god deal at $1500 back of invoice WOW he feels great!! He must have achieved the best possible lease payment...after all after 6 hours of talking to the dealer...he got them down to 1500 back...there's no possible way he could get a better paymeny, right? Wrong...

The dealer feels even better than Mr car buyer because he loaded the lease with $1000 in unnecessary lease start up fees...is getting $2000 in trunk money from the manufacturer and marked up the money-factor.

Obviously this is an exaggerated example but you get my point.

Buy rate, trunk money etc...can be obtained by posting a question in the leasing forum on Edmunds.com

I hope this helps...
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some of these lease payments are higher than my $682 purchase payment for my new 2003 that

listed near $50K. 1.9% Audi Financial for 60 months with $10K down.

I prefer to have something to show for my payments rather than a stack of rent receipts.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree with you Machine, I can't image locking myself in from one lease to the next...

Its like having a perpetual car payment. I <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/49387.phtml">paid off my car completely last june</a>. What a great feeling driving for 18 months with no payment. I will just keep driving and driving in my own car with $600 extra in my pocket every month.

Of course there are some reasons (business owner tax writeoff) that make a lease more practical, but IMO getting into a new car every 2-4 years is not a practical reason for me.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Additional answers... and you will be surprised...

I ran your figures on a lease calculator.
http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

And came up with a lot less. I figured 7% tax and the dealer making your last two payements on your current lease. This increases your cap cost by $1042.00 I also included a bank fee of $500.00 Plus a 7% sales tax and then deducted your money down. Your payment should be $497.28

I have found this calulator to be right on the money. So either the figures you posted are in error or the dealer is taking advantage of you.

Food for thought...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've hit my dealer with this lease calculator with my return numbers....

a little side note...I've used the calculators and my dealer hasn't returned my emails. Tried to work out of my 3.0q for an S-Line. I must have smacked them hard. I found an extra $56 buried using their numbers. Pisses them off when you can work the numbers backwards.

They also lowballed the $hit out of me for the trade of my car. Pristine A6 maintained well outside of Audi guidelines that could be put on the showroom floor. Caught the aholes in a lie. Could have closed the deal if the clowns were honest too.

They still have the car in stock..almost 6 months later.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:00 AM

Default Re: No such thing as waiving...

Actually, there is such a thing as waiving remaining payments. I have leased three Audis in a row, all of them through Audi Financial Services. In my lease agreement, buried in the language on lease ending, is a line which says that the lease ends on, or within 3 months, of the specified end date.

My previous 2 cars were 39 month leases, but both times I returned the car after 36 months and the remaining payments were waived by Audi. A call to Audi Financial Services confirmed this both times.

Two local dealers in CT claimed not to know anything about this, but the dealer in Albany NY where I have leased my last 2 Audis readily disclosed this to me and didn't try to charge me or pretend they were giving me something for nothing.

Check your contract, and call Audi Financial Services.

Quick Reply: New Lease. Does this sound good.