Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Newbie - Allroad vs. A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Allroad vs. A6 Avant

OK, I know the viewers of this thread are probably going to be biased, but...

I currently have a 98 A6 2.8 Quattro. I love it, but have been envious of an upgrade ever since the 2.7T came out a few months after I got mine. More importantly, having three kids in Hockey, I have finally found a way to exceed the voluminous trunk space in the A6.

A cool station wagon should solve my problem. I certainly don't want to go the SUV route, as we already own a Sequoia.

I will be honest, the likelihood that I will ever take this thing off-road is <0.01%. We have the Sequoia to tow things (not that we tow anything but bikes). And as much as I love a stick, I'm not keen on waiting around to get one.

So, you may be wondering by now, if I am ever going to ask a question, so here goes:

1) comparisons online suggest the Avant has 3 inches or so in length over the Allroad, does this translate to a decrease in cargo capacity, or is it lost elsewhere

2) I live in Portland, OR and go over hills constantly, plus head to the mountains frequently. Any worry about over-engaging the turbos? (totally new to the Turbo thing).

3) We had the nastiest ice/snowstorm this winter, and with Graspics on my A6 (no studded tires) I was able to get to work without any trouble (even drove up the huge hill in my exclusive neighborhood just to gloat as I passed the stranded people in their million dollar homes). Any advantage in these conditions for the Allroad vs. the Avant?

4) Any other hidden concerns about the Allroad I should keep in mind before my purchase?

Thanks.

kt (allroad wannabe)
Old 03-22-2004, 08:48 PM

Default allroad 6-speed is what you need

How do I know? Because it's what I've got, and your buying one would validate my choice. :^)

Seriously, if you want a stickshift, get one. It really peps up the car, and your dealer can find one for you and get it shipped. Or call around, find one, and make a flight/drive to pick it up. I'm assuming you're considering a purchase of a new car, not used. Used, it's harder to find a six-speed. I looked for a month and then flew to Texas to buy it. In answer to your questions:

1) The body shell is the same between the two cars, except the allroad uses a thicker floor pan, IIRC. Cargo space is identical. The difference in length is in bigger bumpers on the A6.

2) Turbos can, and occasionally do, go bad. Their benefits outweigh the risk to me. They can provide extra power when needed without constantly sucking gas like a larger-displacement engine. Chipping allows large power increases for minimal investment. Turbo cars also don't lose power at high altitude. The turbos just keep stuffing more air into the motor. The car is deceptively fast.

3) The increased ground clearance would be the only possible advantage of the allroad. They have the same quattro system.

4) I worry about the expense of maintaining the car, so I bought an extended warranty. The suspension is a collection of complex, expensive parts in place of some coils of steel. Turbos are expensive.

HTH-
-df
Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default answers inside

1) difference in length is attributable to the bumpers. the ar is technically an SUV so only needs 2.5 mph rather than 5 mph. other than that should be the same in interior cargo capacity

2) turbo is much better at altitude and on the hills, nothing to worry abot

3) will drive through the snow like an avant but can add increased ride height when the snow is deep.

4) more trick parts on the car - like the suspension will mean increased costs of ownership in the long run.

overall, you will like the ar compared to the avant
Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Newbie - Allroad vs. A6 Avant

We traded an A6 Avant 2.8 for an allroad 2.7T. The extra 50 hp made a big difference and the torque range provided by the turbos is excellent. We liked the A6 2.8 but always felt it was under powered. We don't really need the variable height suspension, if you live in an area that gets lots of snow it could be useful.

If I were to trade it today I'd probably get a 4.2 allroad or an S6 Avant (but that's a lot more money).

The turbos kick in around 1800 rpm and hit max boost around 3800 rpm. From 3800 up there are automatic waste gates that limit the boost so you can't over boost the engine.

As others said, the turbos and air suspension could be expensive maintenance items. If we keep the ar at lease end we'll get an extended warranty.

Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 05:19 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

No 2.7T in the A6 Avant. End of discussion.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed - ar is only A6 Avant available in US with big engine.

I would have preferred a 4.2 or 2.7T Avant over the allroad, but I would not settle for a 2.8/3.0 engine.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 AM

Default OOPS!

My bad. I just assumed the Avant would be available with the same engine options as an A6 sedan, with the exception of the RS6. Don't they sell a wagon with the RS6 engine in Europe?

For a wagon with a 2.7T or 4.2 the allroad is apparently the only choice. The 3.0 litre 220 hp engine will still be underpowered like the A6 2.8. If trading today I'd probably still go for the 4.2 engine.

Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 05:58 AM

there's that S6 avant, eh? 4.2>2.7
Old 03-24-2004, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, but that one's so far out of my bank range, I 'forget' about it!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Newbie - Testdrove today

Liked it, of course. Especially the power compared to the A6 2.8. Dealer is going to search for the 6 speed. Just need to decide new vs. used.

My nearly 10 year old liked the TT with the baseball leather in the showroom. Of course I liked the RS6.

Will keep you posted if I order one.