Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oh no!!!! Dendist drill:(

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no!!!! Dentist drill:(

So I leave for work last night and half way there ( four mile, 35 mph drive) the car starts miss-firing. Then the turbo lady starts to sing. Miss-fires stop, engine smooths out, and I make it to work... very carefully. No smoke out of the tailpipes and coolant is still perfectly clean. Car drives fine with the exception of LOUD ANNOYING drill noise and lack of power. I'm sure the bearing is just toast. 116,000 miles, mobile one 0-40 since I bought it with 5k change intervals. Always proper warm up/cool down. This is going to be expensive. I have a tip unfortunately so im going to stick with the K03s. Anyone here have to replace theirs? A little curious about the final cost.

Last edited by jhart2.7t; 09-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just rechecked the coolant...still clean. Pulled the oil cap and looked for signs of coolant. Just oil and normal need-to-change-my-oil fuel smell. Dip stick is dry, with the exception of oil (which is still in good shape). Exhaust tips look clean, with the exception of the rain we have recently received. I've had two boost leaks in the last two years, and each time the exhaust tips were real sooty. The passenger turbo went, from what I can tell, and I'm hoping no other damage was done. Anyone know what's up with why the motor would misfire? Please, engine and everything else, be okay......
Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, I would look at each coil-pack if there was a mis-fire issue. Can you scan the car with a VAG-COM? It should easily identify any bad one(s).
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was random multiple misfire. Reset the light and it hasn't come back on yet.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a quote today from my Indy. Approximately $3,500 and about 3 days in the shop. I also called the dealer (just for kicks) that my Indy shop USED to work for, and they quoted around 6-7k!! Minimum 35 hours labor!! "Oh, it's complete engine and tranny removal". My shop says they drop the engine a bit and get them out that way. They do these on 2.7t motors all the time, and said the allroad is much easier than the S4. Lots more room to play with. I just wish I had more cash for things like piggies, full gasket replacement, and a manual tranny swap to I could put in the bigger turbos. When all said and done, I think I just might sell the car. This will be almost $6,800 I've put into this car this year. Timing belt was $850, the secondary air pump was $1,200 including the kombi valves, and some coolant hose split on the back of the motor for $450. Fuel pump went and cost $480. Plus a few other things. I LOVE THIS CAR, but can't keep throwing $$$$ at it. It's time to get something more reliable.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dude, you could have spent $1000 on tools and did all these repairs for a fraction of the cost....

[$850 for a full timing belt job isn't bad at all!]
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually have all the tools!! I just don't have the time anymore! I work about 70-80 hour a week now. They only charged me around 370 for labor on the timing belt job. All other was parts.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No one else has gone through turbo replacement?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhart2.7t
No one else has gone through turbo replacement?
Quite a few have, actually. Is that quote with a used set of K03s, or new ones? Look into frankenturbos.

Or are you deciding to ditch the car?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They will be new turbos. I would totally put something different on, but since I'm chipped with a tiptronic, I'm already exceding the torque limits of the trans. I'm NOT paying for a new or rebuilt tranny!

Quick Reply: Oh no!!!! Dendist drill:(