Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Ok, here it goes on a 2001 I just looked at

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, here it goes on a 2001 I just looked at

IT has 70000 miles on it. There are a few scraps on the outside (molding and rims)I would like to replace the rims, but the cars is smooth at high speeds, not wheel shimmy or shake. The brakes are in deperate need of repair. The pedal and steering wheel shakes when the brakes are applied. I looked at the rotors and they need to be replaced, or at least turned. The interior is imaculate. The suspension was on manual mode. I do not know how to get it out of this mode, so I do not know if an error was being hid by not being in the auto mode. I snuck up on the dealer so I could look under (no leaks) and the car seemed to be sitting level. When I started it up the compressor did not come on until I changed the level. I seemed to cycle three or four times (is this normal) over 1 minute then I did not hear it again. I drove it for 20 minutes and no fault codes came out on the display. Transmission seemed fine, although it did seem to hunt from final drive to 4 too much. What do you think would be a fair price from the dealer (non audi) for this car. No warranty, only a guarantee of an inspection sticker (which is next to usless).

puck
Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default with the history of tranny problems in the TIP...

why would you want this one?

Prices vary according to area. Ebay is a good guide. Look at past sales within...500 miles of your home?

Brakes for the allroad are always 'replace the rotors'. Being the last Audi paid replacment should have been done around 40-50K miles, I'd wonder about all the service records and history.

You need to have it checked by an Audi Savy indy shop befor you buy, epsecially with a possible tranny problem. You may also want an AUdi dealer to run the VIN and check the Audi repair and warranty history.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok, how about a good indy in the maine/new hampshire seacoast?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Ditto...except my dealer turned my rotors at 50k "according to spec" so I

was replacing them way before 70k so that may just be a need for brakes which isn't a huge deal, but be sure to "find out where it has been"...your Audi dealer of call Audi of America customer care at 1-800-822-2834 with the VIN...I did that on a strange one on EBay and it proved it to be fishy...that and get an extended warranty of some kind unless you are really good with a wrench, want to buy the VAG COM and or are independently wealthy. At least enough miles to cover something that may be lurking like torque converter issues or suspension compressor issues. They do not go for Kelly Blue book or Edmunds prices...try to see what they are selling for on the Manheim auction...page someone here for a current listing as this is pretty accurate, especially if you are in a non-Audi part of the country...good luck.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found an old thread, East Coast European

Talked to one of the Marks this morning. He is going to check it out for me on Monday.

Anyone want to shed some light on what a decent price is for the 2001 Allroad?