Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

That old lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That old lag issue

I'm convinced that the "off the line" lag and "rolling start" lag are not turbo related and seem to be limited to tips (and not necessarily allroads). This forum is full of discussion about the issue. What I can't understand is why Audi can't fix the problem. I love the allroad, but think it's a bit embarrassing that Audi can't seem to make a responsive throttle or transmission or whatever the heck it is that creates the issue. Even the domestics avoid this problem. I've never owned a car with this quirk. Audi's apparent inability to fix this issue makes you think that maybe there was something to the old unintended acceleration issue. After all, if they can't built a properly responsive throttle now, why would one expect they could do it years ago? I wonder how Audi will respond when someone gets t-boned in an intersection because they couldn't get out of the way? In fact, I'm surprised they haven't faced that lawsuit by now. Anyway just my vent for the day. Still a great car, but solve a few quirks and quality control issues and it might be the best all around car on the road.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Agree - 100 %

Friend of mine said he has the same problem with his A4 - now selling to buy an Alfa !
Old 02-19-2003, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Before asserting that Audi can't produce cars with responsive auto-trannies, test drive an S6...

I specifically used the phrasing "produce cars with...", rather than "produce an auto tranny..." because Audi obviously doesn't make the transmission. ZF does. Nor does Audi make the throttle control. Bosch does.

However, all these things are customizable, and Audi has clearly chosen to tune the full-auto mode differently in the allroad than it has in it's other cars. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion, but I'm guessing is has something to do with offroad starts.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Can't verses Won't

Okay let's assume that they can solve the problem and have done so in other models. Why not solve the problem with the allroad (or the other models similarly afflicted), and why, at least to my knowledge, does only Audi have this problem? Also, in support of JLB's comment, my Audi service representative confirms that he has the same issue with his A4 and has never encountered this problem with any other non-Audi he has ever owned.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Can't verses Won't

To be honest, I've only ever driven manual A4s, so I can't comment on them. But, if reffering to a 1.8T, I'd say the initial lag is definately engine related. I hate it, myself.

I don't think the lag is considered a "problem"... in Audi's eyes. The allroad was critisized in early 2001 reviews for having abrupt throttle response when trying to finess the throttle offroad. They seem to feel that they've dealt with that problem, and that they've not introduced another.

I don't have a tip, so I can't say for sure... but I think people say the lag isn't noticable in Tip mode. Clearly, software controls this and Audi is not convinced it needs improvement.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:28 PM

Default ...and that defines the problem here.

Audi is not convinced it needs improvement. At least some of their customers are.

A responsive company might act on this. An unresponsive company will wait until forced to (if ever), and ignores the negative effect this might have on future sales...

This is a great car, but the organization still hasn't learned to be customer-driven yet.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True, True... I have been quite insulated from all this, and intend to stay insulated...

by buying manual transmissions only. =)

Out of curiousity, does the ...12 transmission recode change the lag behaviour noticably? Does the '02/'03 sport mode reduce the symptom?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:35 PM

Default Re: That old lag issue

I have a 2001 Allroad with Tip and APR chip and I have no lag at all. As a matter of fact the car jumps off the line so quick my passenger is advised not to have coffee in hand.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:37 PM

Default Sport Mode..

It helps a little, mostly moving from a stop. The rolling throttle response can still have lag though.

Tip mode is better but not a complete solution, even ignoring the fact that you have to remember to shift now :-)
Old 02-19-2003, 04:39 PM

Default I wonder if early US production models had different software

or was the change made after some dork reviewed the pre-prod models and labelled them "too responsive" (I don't think too responsive is possible)

Quick Reply: That old lag issue