Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Opinions needed regarding bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed regarding bodywork

Oh my poor new AR. Not even in for my first service...

I asked the group recently about fixing my door ding, and you guys recommended looking into Dent Wizard, and I have looked into it. I'm about to bring it to a guy near me (Ding Dent Done) who's been doing this for about 11 years. He was going to do that, and some other unrelated damage that lumber falling from my roof (yes, you heard right) caused.

In addition to the door ding, I have three small dents in the front of my hood. Two along the Llumar (clearbra) line about 10-12 inches from the front of the hood, and one smaller one about 3 inches from the front. In addition, there are deep scratches in the roof panel above the windshield. No paint damage on the hood that I can see, just scratches to the Llumar.

The DDD guy thought no problem on the ding and two of the hood dents, but wasn't sure about the small near the front. $140 to match the Dent Wizard price. The Llumar guy says $120 to replace the hood protection. I haven't had a body shop look at the roof panel yet.

I figured since it looked like I would exceed my deductable ($300) I'd have the insurance company look at it. They cut me a check this morning for $632. Their estimate was for standard bodywork on the hood with a repaint and blend, and removal of the rails, moonroof, gutters and repaint of the roof panel. And replacement of the Llumar.

What do you think? Is it worth dealing with the paintless dent removal to avoid repainting the hood? Repainting always scares me because I worry the panels won't match.

Thanks for your opinions. I really do value them, even though I might not respond until much later.

Howie
Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Always go paintless if at all possible.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd
Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

3rd... If you do have to paint find a reputable shop that uses good paint...
Old 10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks...

Sounds like it is worth trying the paintless first... I'll only be out about $60 if you consider that I'll have the door ding fixed too.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Howie
Old 10-29-2004, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BTW, $632 sounds like a very low estimate.

Several weeks ago another vehicle threw a rock into the air hitting my Allroad. It put a scratch down to the metal on one of my fenders. To repaint the fender it cost $1200. It sounds like you have significantly more damange than what I had...

Good luck!

Gavin
Old 10-29-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you file a homeowners claim?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:05 AM

Your homeowner's policy will not respond to that claim
Old 10-31-2004, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: BTW, $632 sounds like a very low estimate.

It was actually $932, but the body shop says it is way low. He hasn't seen the estimate yet, but I'm sure there will be some negotiating once he gets it.

Howie
Old 10-31-2004, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default paintless dent removal results...

Well, it doesn't look like he was able to do the dent near the front of the hood, but everything else looks pretty damn good. I can see an ever so slight change in the reflection where the door ding was, but I don't think anyone who didn't know could find it. I may have to do the bodywork on the hood if he tried to get that dent out but could not. Hopefully I'll talk to him tomorrow.

WRT to the ding, should I expect to not even be able to tell where it was?

Howie

Quick Reply: Opinions needed regarding bodywork