Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Our brakes suck..............

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 07:02 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I could tell that after a 10-minute test drive of the allroad...

...there's just too much weight, when driven aggressively, for those brakes to handle competently. In all honesty, they are overtaxed on the S4 that is 600+ lbs. lighter. That is why I have AP Racing 4-pots. =)
Old 05-21-2002, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi brakes don't compare well to Mercedes or BMW...

I replaced a '98 E320 with the allroad and pretty early on I realized how much I missed the brakes in the Mercedes. Brakes in the MB never faded, shuddered or squeeked (ok - maybe after washing the car, but that was it). I also drive a 2001 BMW 330 ci convertible with the sport package. Not really sure if those brakes are special, but like the Mercedes, they are rock solid. I also tend to drive the BMW much more aggressively. I do give the BMW credit for being much lighter than the allroad. But the Mercedes is a tank for a sedan. The E320 weighs 3700lbs to the 4200lb allroad.

This is more of a rant, because I still live with the brakes of the allroad. I just wish that audi would have over-engineered the brakes. It would give me a great deal more confidence in the allroad.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yup, or apr, which is basicaly stoptech
Old 05-22-2002, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you, the allroad is NO TRACK CAR!

You can use it there, but you can bring a Ford Festiva to the track too (no offense, just making a point).

If you bring a car like the allroad to the track, you should both get an evaluation by a psychiatrist, and equip the car for the track, that is with brakes, wheels, tires, etc that can handle track use.

It's funny that people will chip their allroads, put new exhausts, new wheels, etc on them to get more "performance" without any complaints as to the inadequacy of the stock equipment, but why do brakes not also get the same consideration. A lot of jack is spent to make the car faster and handle better, but little is done for the most important aspect, that is STOPPING!

No doubt the size and power of the allroad brakes is adequate for normal, non-track use. The quality of the rotors could definitely be questioned, but that has more to do with feel and warping than with absolute safety or adequacy.

The S6, 4.2, and pre-'02 2.7Ts have bigger brakes that are also adequate for heavy everyday use or light track use...but no doubt serious track use should involve a brake upgrade.

Audi never marketed the allroad as a track-ready vehicle, nor should they. If one is going to use it in that way, one should pay to get it ready not just to go fast, but also to stop well without fade.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read the posts, people have brake problems without tracking. I have ordered Stoptechs...............

and that's before a chip or exhast. Now I have to go my phychiastrist is waiting.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did read the posts and I have driven the car several times...

granted I do not own an allroad, but it is clear that the brakes are adequate to stop the car during normal and emergency use. It is also clear they are not high-performance brakes capable of very aggressive use or track use. Another thing that is clear is that virtually all Audi rotors suck and tend to warp at a very high rate (mine have also on my 4.2).

The vibration felt from braking from 100 mph is USUALLY not due to boiling of brake fluid. It is usually from previously warped rotors and/or pads. It is very easy to tell because the pulsation or vibration is felt almost immediately during heavy braking from high speed...far too quickly for it to be boiling fluid...additionally, although I have different brakes on my two cars, I have never felt any fade in either car. The allroad is likely to be much easier to achieve that point, though, being slightly heavier than my S6 but with smaller brakes.

My only point is that the brakes are adequate, not spectacular, for everyday...normal...use and any deviation from that toward more aggressive driving should prompt the owner to upgrade the brakes. Sure, I too wish Audi had equipped these cars with Brembos or something more substantial...my S6 is probably going to be getting Brembos in the next few months, but for real-life every day and emergency driving, the brakes are fine. Rotor quality, though, sucks...way too much warping, way too common.