Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Please, opinions on A6 Avant/allroad/Volvo XC for me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please, opinions on A6 Avant/allroad/Volvo XC for me...

Since folks here seem to have experienced all of these cars, I would like to know your opinions. My wife wants to get rid of her Pathfinder and move on to something nicer (specially after driving A4 and TT for total of 4 years). She would like somthing that is lively and little sporty (may not be exactly "Sport"). I have driven allroad and love it but have no idea about A6 avant or XC. Also don't know the diff between their AWD systems.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2001, 06:55 AM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Please, opinions on A6 Avant/allroad/Volvo XC for me...

My choices finally narrowed down to the allroad and the Volvo XC. I eliminated the X5 because the loading floor was too high (36"). The Volvo XC had slightly better loading characteristics than the allroad, but my final analysis was that the Volvo's fit and finish was not as nice as it should have been for the price. The allroad is a blast to drive.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:37 AM

Default Is that blast worth 50K, no seriously. Did any of you get any discounts????

X5 was never even considered, since it is a pain to do even a decent airport run in that car. Obviouly the utility part is missing from that car.
Thanks for your inputs though.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The price I'm paying is about 6' below the basement.

I'm basically getting my allroad for dealer invoice. Thats right, dealer invoice. $50+K MSRP allroad for just over $43K. God I love this country... :-)

Curtis
Old 03-09-2001, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Please, opinions on A6 Avant/allroad/Volvo XC for me...

two main points:

The A6 Avant doesn't have the ESP traction control system that the allroad does. I can't speak to the XC with any detail, but my understanding is it doesn't a traction control system either (other than anti-lock).

Transmissions: this may not be an issue to you, but of the three the only one that has a standard transmission is the allroad.

the other point is ground clearance the allroad & XC are both 8.2" the a6 avant 5.5"(as I recall) important with snow if that is an issue to you.

power: allroad: 250hp A6: 200hp XC: 197hp

if you go to the audi of america site, drill down into the allroad page and you can do a side by side comparsion of specs between the allroad and the XC.

fj..
Old 03-09-2001, 10:11 AM

Default Wanted a Volvo Wagon since I was a kid....

So I REALLY had my heart set on the XC. We also really wanted to stay in the XC price range. Needed something I could take down the ranch roads in West Texas but that would also be luxurious and fun to drive.

All I can say is that we were sorely disappointed in the XC (a lot of reasons). After being in the allroad for about 5 minutes, I was sold! I think I read somewhere in the Volvo literature that they don't even use real wood for the trim! I've never owned a relatively expensive car, so "fit and finish" were never in my vocabulary, but they will be from now on...the allroad has by far a nicer interior (IMHO the XC looked kind of cheap). Of course, there is no comparison in the power and handling of the allroad.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:26 AM

Default profile of a Volvo driver...

for entertainment purposes only...

I have observed that the vast majority of Volvo owners that I've met seem to be:

- working for large to medium-sized corporations in middle management or sales;
- come from higher middle or upper class families however rebelled for an extended period against the family, more specifically the father;
- vote Democrat;
- have little if any knowledge of the German (Audi, BMW, M-B, Porsche, VW) competition;
- believe the advertising that Volvo is the safest car on the road;
- high credit card debt and perhaps otherwise leveraged with debt; and
- intelligent although limited in common sense.

Would you agree with this stereo-typical generality?

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2001, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If what she wants is "lively and little sporty" then the choice is easy...

particularly if price is not a significant issue. Both the A6 Avant and XC are not sporty or very lively. That is not an insult. There is not much kick in either engine but both are great highway cruisers and picking up the kids and overall, driving around like a normal human being. Just don't expect to beat too many Toyota Corrolas off the line Not that bad, actually.

If price is a big factor, I would expand the choice list to include the Outback HSE V6 which is actually very close to the "luxury" of the XC but at a $6k discount. Between the three of them, I would still choose the A6 Avant as its finish and material quality is much more satisfying although both of the other 2 are pretty good really.

If ground clearance is a big factor, eliminate the A6 Avant and your left with the allroad, XC, and Outback. Much has been said of the advanced, high-tech AWD system of the Audi and how it is superior to the primitive Volvo and Subaru (also MB and BMW) systems. But from a practical standpoint and much experience with the Outback, its primitive AWD system works outstanding in rain, sand, and snow. It is difficult to make this thing do something wrong and now comes with the equivalent of Audi's ESP.
I'm not pushing the Outback, but if given the choice only between the Volvo and the Outback, I'd take the Outback with its Mark Levinson audio system, keep the $6k and get a nice HDTV setup for the house. If money is no object, I'd definitely get the allroad, as it is by far the nicest (in every way) of all 4 of these cars. If power and ground clearance are not a big issue but money is somewhat, I'd take the A6 Avant, it is beautiful and very comfortable and has "REAL WOOD"
Any of these is better than the Pathfinder with regards to comfort though.
Enjoy the decision making process.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:40 AM

Yes, the blast is worth $50K and $32k is WAY too high for mediocrity!
Old 03-09-2001, 10:41 AM
wec

About $2000 off sticker.

Quick Reply: Please, opinions on A6 Avant/allroad/Volvo XC for me...