Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Question about headlights replacement sources

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headlights replacement sources

Greetings all - Have a beautiful 03 Allroad 2.7t tiptronic, with 120k miles. Well maintained. My son recently started driving , and hit a deer, destroying the right side headlight back side. (front is still intact, bulbs still work, mounting brackets are toast.
slightly crumples edge on fender and hood that will need to be fixed as well.

Questions: These Xenon lights are outrageously expensive to replace, and the light covers on both right and left are hazed over pretty good anyway.
1. Can I buy a new housing only for the right light, and just swap out the internals? Or
2. is there an aftermarket headlamp pair I could buy that is non-xenon and a simple plug and play?
3. I assume there is an aftermarket for the internals on my right light, and full left light, that might actually pay for replacement.
4. I noticed that audi does sell non-xenon headlights for my model, is that a plug and play too? or does that require any Vag programming? (lots of moving parts on these Xenon, I assume the ECU might want to know what it is working with?
5. What would you do in my situation? (insurance, might actually total this car based on cost of repairs and replacement and labor, but this car is in pretty good shape. It's worth well more than book Value to me until the turbos or tranny give out.)

ANY AND ALL HELP OR ADVICE IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To clarify, - The right side headlight rear plastic housing is shattered with some broken parts inside , but all bulbs are intact, as are the electroincs motors, wires.. etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy a whole use headlamp from Ebay
Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you -
Yes I did find a great buy on Ebay, installed it already. $175, and all bulbs, ballasts work.
My only "problem" now is that its lense is clearer than my old driver's side.. lol.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can't speak about the Audi Allroad but my 2003 Passat had plastic headlight covers that I could manually polish up to look pretty much new, took maybe 15 minutes per light. There are kits available with an electrical buffer but it wasn't hard to do manually, I did have too do it every year or so but apparently there is a protective sealant you can get as well that should keep the clarity intact longer. If your headlights are made of glass ignore everything I just said.