Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Rant time: I have trouble expressing what I find troublesome about some over-privileged youth of

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant time: I have trouble expressing what I find troublesome about some over-privileged youth of

today given this type of attitude. Here's the opening sentence of an e-mail I got a while back (sender remains anonymous for protection). It's like one of those "press releases we stopped reading after the first sentence" quips in Autoweek. Here it is, unedited for grammar, punctuation or spelling, etc.:

"here's my story, my parent's don't want there new car anymore, and are giveing it to me. Know even though its a nice car and real quick ( its an 06 mazda speed6) its still not an Audi. I was looking into cpo A4's . . . "

So, there it is. A 2006 Mazdaspeed6, with 260ish bhp and awd, factory tuner performance, $30,000 list, rare, stylish and reliable transport - not good enough for a member of today's youth.

Man, I could re-hash that 'first car' survey here and we could compare answers. I came from relative comfort as a youth, but I never learned to think like this. I'm grown up, but far from old. Still, this makes me feel waaay out of touch, or maybe I'm just plain unsympathetic! I offered the guy my phone number, but he never called. I would have told him in a respectable manner what might be wrong with his world view, in my humble opinion.

Girlroad? Paulroad? Am I on the wrong road with this rant?

Okay, thanks. I've been holding this in for some time.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Default You'll have to look at the root cause of this attitude....if this kid doesn't know any better then

his/her parents had quite some influence in this behavior.
Remember the video on youtube where the young girl got brand new Saab convertible and started freaking out and screaming at her dad because she didn't like the car? If that was my daughter I'd kick her butt to the next century.....and back. But she would never have received such gift in the first place.

Most of these "privileged" kids never had to earn a buck to put food on the table or supply for a family. They've got fed with a golden spoon their entire life and have no concept of values.

You know what I found the best way to kick some of this behavior out of their systems - 6 weeks of Boot Camp and 1 year of mandatory Service for their country. May not sound very attractive or "fair" but trust me, it works mostly ;-)
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I second you Rallynut. A little time serving would put quite a bit of.......

things into perspective for some. JMHO

btw, my first ride was a 75 VW Scirocco that I worked all summer for just to put $500 down to get it. 110K on the odometer and I paid $1900.00 for back in 87.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm only 24 and you have to remember....we're not all dumb as rocks.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default These kids have no idea of value, no idea of what hard work is........

I grew up on a farm, and worked on our neighbors Thoroughbred horse farm to save for my first car...well truck, a rusty 76 Ford F-100. Cost me $1000, but it was mine! I joined the service to get off the farm, bootcamp was easy compared to farming.

When I worked at the dealership in Syracuse we had alot of college kids form SU with new Audis as graduation presents. Think they took care of them??? Yeah right. Absolutely discusting what happened to some of these cars. They didn't pay for them, didn't care about them. No idea of value, hard work, work ethic....I'll stop now I guess.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did not say young = dumb, just commenting on this young person's attitude. I know some

very smart future leaders. Don't take this personally.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Typical of a lot of today's youth of the semi afluent...

They have no clue as to what things cost and in reallity its not their fault. Its their parents.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't get me started on this topic...I could write for hours...

I totally concur with your thoughts. My worst experience this past year or so has to do with family friends I helped with excellent internships with top corporations and the lack of respect they had for their jobs. It was unbelieveable to me -- someone who would have killed for the opportunity (instead I caddied). One of them has that coupe Scion that actually got a custom leather interior and about $5K of other upgrades and when she completed her internship (of which in my book she blew) she was thinking for graduation (to no job just hanging out in Florida) she needed an upgraded car like a new BMW 3 series.

Sorry I will stop my rant on today's youth. I do think this is also a circumstance of the circles you are in and you will see more of this than others based on spoiled kids and parents for that matter. I have made sure as I accumulate wealth I don't change and my kids will be earning their first ride thats for sure.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Almost choked when I saw a kid slide across the hood of an A4 and laugh...

Had just moved to Salt Lake City and a bunch of kids were hanging out in a parking lot on a Saturday night. 2 girls drive up in a brand new A4 and one of these punks slides across the hood like he's in a cop movie and both girls laugh. I wanted to call their parents, but then we know that is where this behavior comes from.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well actually it was the Judge that sent me to boot camp

....that was in 1966, and he gave me the option of enlisting in the Marine Corps, or going to a work camp...

I grew up on the near northside of Chicago, when it wasn't the upscale neighborhood it is today, and I'm sure I would have died on the street, or gone to prison if it hadn't been for that Judge. Not that being in the Corps was much safer..lol, but it did knock some sense into this thick scull of mine. I didn't retire from Uncle Sams Misgiuded Children until 1985 when during my last physical it was discovered I had damaged L4-L5-L6, and was starting to loose my hearing.

So, I really can't relate to todays youth, I can't tolerate their lack of respect, or their sense of entitlement, and I most definately do not appreciate the bangers who stuff their chests out and think they intimidate us old codgers...lol

And not to bore you guys, and take you hostage to a long thread, but I'd like to share with you what happened last night.

My wife and I went to pickup a few movies, and I wanted a coffee, so on the way home we drove thru downtown Naperville, my wife is handicapped, had polio as a child, she does drive, but can't run for ****e...lol

So, I go into the local Starbucks, get my latte..only takes a few minutes...come back outside, round the corner...and my car is surrounded by 6 - 7 teenagers, and they are all looking at the Allroad...one decided to sit upon my hood....now I just kind of stood there taking this in when my poor wife gives me this frantic look, and I decided that this old jarhead had seen enough....needless to say the 1st. thing I did was grab the wannabe hood ornament off my newly polished hood, taking great care not to slide his *** across my paint..then I stood his little self on the curb, and asked him in my best imitation of Gunny Ermie if he had a problem....then one of his buddies decided to grow a pair, and I told hood ornement to standy, that I would get right back to him! The other 4-5 kids went awol and headed south on Main St. Hood ornament and New ***** decided they wanted to call daddy. So I decided I would take their ID's, and keep a record...just so I would know where to find them, should that ever be recquird. I simply reached into their pockets and took their wallets....got my little notepad out of the door pocket and copied all their information.

And about that time dada arrived, drove up in his new shiny Chrysler 300, got out of his car and wanted to know if I wanted my *** whipped.
About 2 minutes into his verbal tirade Naperville's finest showed up on they're $2000. bicycles...and the real fun began. Needless to say, the kids father is gonna pay for the buffing, and polishing of my hood, and I agree not to charge the fruits of his loins with anything.

I wish someone could have captured the look on dada's face when my wife climbed out of the front seat to confront his child with her crutches....it was priceless.

Next time I see this vermin I will attempt to clean the gene pool....never know when those damn AR brakes will fail! :-)

We used to be such a nice quiet town, then the real estate prices went crazy, and every smuck from Chicago moved out here...we have more beer joints, and upscale sushi bars now than Downtown Chi Town....and lately we get the ghetto kids riding the Metra out here to do they're B&E's while all the yuppies are riding the train into Chicago to earn a buck!

What happened? So much for life in the burbs!

Quick Reply: Rant time: I have trouble expressing what I find troublesome about some over-privileged youth of