Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Reality check needed - more BBK opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reality check needed - more BBK opinions please

I had planned on adding a BBK to my car shortly and was working through my options. I had mretty much gotten my mind around spending some $ on the ECS Stage 4 Cayenne setup for the fronts and the VAST S8 kit for the rear. I have a set of used S4 calipers for that rear kit headed my way as we speak.

Now here is the problem, I took the time to print the ECS template and took a rim off the car to verify fit. The template actually rubs my RS4 rim in what would be the upper outside portion of the caliper. Grrrrr. I don't want to buy new rims.

So upon learning these won't fit, I have a couple options - I can spend ~3500, and get a nice 6 piston monoblock setup from Stasis. (their template is less squared off in the corner and looks like it will fit - but I still need to verify). I could also look at 320mm kits instead which have the added benefit of letting me keep my winter tire setup.

Then there is the final alternative. I just got off the phone with the shop that will be doing this work on the car (and ordering whichever kit I choose). They offered the concept of going with a better albeit more expensive pad in the front rather than the rear. In this tech's experience a nice Pagid Orange box track pad and some zimmerman drilled rotors in OEM size will save me a bunch of $ but will stop just as well as the BBK setups I have been looking at. I could combine that setup in the front with S4 vented discs in the back. Their claim is that for ~650 I can get all the stopping power of a BBK, none of the warping I had been seeing, and can pocket ~2500 over the price of the stasis kit. The only thing I won't get is that nice shiny caliper and huge rotor look under the wheels.

So the reality check questions - any experiences with the Pagid Orange pads - are their claims accurate? also, is that BBK look worth the additional $2500?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Is your lower cost option

Stock calipers up front with track pads and S4 vented rears?
I would say you have little to loose by trying the track pads. Dedicated track pads seem to provide enough brake for several others I have talked to at the track with lighter cars.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brakes make kinetic energy into heat. You have to put that heat somewhere.

BBK allows for a bigger heat sink and more ability to shed that heat. Changing pads can't do the same though it may improve performance at high temps.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is the lowest cost option, and I think it might be a worthwhile experiment

given the relatively low cost.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default correct - the new pads would just handle the heat better

thus I wouldn't experience the fade after 12-15 minutes on the track. they should also have more bite than the stock setup.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where is the rubbing? Can you use a slight spacer to remediate this?

BTW, I've had to put all brake fun, including prerequisite new wheels+tires, on hold for possibly months pending funding issues (ski condo + solo mortgage is a little too much leverage).

Oh yeah, if you do get that ECS kit, I'd love to check it out pre-install. And heck, if you want to install it yourself/with me at my crib, that's always an option. Same goes with new pads - stupid easy to install the fronts, at the very least.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I too wanted the ecs stage 4 set up....

especially for the price during the holidays was around $1600'ish. But I really like the stoptech 332's. You can get a set for 1700 to 1800. Larger than ecs's stage 3 and cost less too. Same braking performance, I would guess.

The other option is, I heard of a place supposedly in Colorado that will machine wheels and dynamic balance wheels. A guy here a work sent his miata wheels there and had his wheels lightend from 22lbs to something like 14 lbs. The point being they can machine the needed clearence. Cost of doing this?? Too afraid to ask.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a spacer Might take care of it.

I have a 15mm spacer on the shelf that I picked up a while back, I'll check with that too.

the ECS template is also squared off in that corner and I seriously doubt the caliper is that square. I may call ecs to check on the shape.

If I go that route, I'll let you know so you can check it out. Randy and Todd have been such a big help with figuring all this else, I feel pretty obligated to let them do the work on the car. Their rates will be really reasonable anyway.

I'll keep you posted on what I decide.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It was probably woodys

the same place that just finished powder coating my wheels.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you ever going to track it?

Quick Reply: Reality check needed - more BBK opinions please