Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

replacement for '01 allroad

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement for '01 allroad

A non-mechanical enthusiast requests your help! My '01 allroad was recently totaled. Cold weather package and Bose system (or equivalent) are vital. We were considering moving over to an '04 or '05 so we could get lower mileage, but a) am having a very difficult time finding one with anything other than the standard stereo system, and b) after reading these forums, seems many prefer the '01's and '02's to the later models? Do you agree, disagree?
We're not speedsters, but absolutely need (well, ok, really really use and love) the variable height suspension, the feel of our beloved little '01, and the sound of the stereo. Mainly highway driving, a bit of towing for raft trips (with accompanying drives on the 4WD roads into the put ins) and the mountains during winter. Any opinions?
THANKS
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default easy, get another allroad...

and get the hitch out of your totalled one if you can! they are very hard to find. as is the 4 pin dongle that attatches to the 13 pin end of the harness.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Re: easy, get another allroad...

yes, but another '01 with higher mileage? or the '04 or '05. I've given up on the hitch. Stupid, but it happened 400 miles from home and honestly, we didn't think it was going to be totaled, and was salvaged before we thought of it.

Also, it was automatic, though I love manual. However, realistically, if I have to replace the clutch, I'll be annoyed. Any opinions on clutch life? All my other clutches have lasted ~100,000 or more, but those were VW's and Honda's. Wondering if higher performance = earlier failure?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "non mechanical" -- find one w/ a good warranty on it

and the non bose system is a more than acceptable stereo. In fact there is little difference between bose and non bose.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: "non mechanical" -- find one w/ a good warranty on it

another good question: we were leaning towards the audi certified vs. an after market extended warranty, but of course, that leaves out the '01's and the '02's. Anyone have any positive or negative things to say about the Audi certified warranty vs. the various extended warranties?
Thanks again!

PS we did compare the Bose vs. the non-Bose, and my husband, blinded, knew right away, correctly named which in all 5 cars we tried it in. I'm usually very un-picky about such things, as I think they are wasted on me, I'm not sure I personally can tell the difference!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PAGING BRUCE -- WARRANTY QUESTION

the quick answer to your questions is there are superior aftermarket warranties. The Audi CPO program is no different than other warranties and the vehicle inspection is a marketing gimmick. Like any used car, reseach the history thoroughly and have a mechanic inspect the vehicle.

Bruce is our warranty guru and has proven to be a stand up, honest person. He maybe able to assist you in a search for another allroad.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Sell you mine if you want an 02 with all options pretty much has

68K miles so pretty low miles I would say for a CA car.

Good condition.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CPO is limited - only listed items - not "warranty" grade. You can do better.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re:If a Tip consider a 4.2, I'm getting about the same mpg as the 2.7 I had

All the Options of the 02 plus on the 4.2.

You know who took the hitch?

Quick Reply: replacement for '01 allroad