Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Resurfacing Rotors on AR's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurfacing Rotors on AR's

Ok, I've recently moved to Boulder from San Francisco. I've had Rector Audi in the Bay Area resurface rotors on my AR at least 4 times. I'm being told by Stammler Audi of Boulder that Audi doesn't allow them to resurface rotors? That they just swap them out with new ones? Can this be true? Or is this a money making proposition for them since they're the only show in town?

I don't need rotors, but I'm starting to feel the brake wobble in the front which tells me that it's time to fix the discs up front again - had it done at least 4 times since I've owned the car. My car is Audi Assured so if they do need to be swapped I can probably brow-beat the AoA rep into submission, but not resurfacing rotors seems very wasteful to me.

BTW, if there are any dumpster divers in Boulder there's tons of what would seem to be a6 rotors piled next to thier dumpster along with other assorted parts...
Old 08-27-2004, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

replacement is what I've been told...rear rotors and pads have been replaced 3 times in 25k
Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Monday I'm calling AoA to get to the bottom of this

it's a shady practice if they're doing this simply to make $$$. I figure you can make more moola by replacing than by resurfacing since you can only charge like $15.00 a rotor to resurface. Or maybe it's time to take the car to an independent for brake service...

yzf996fltri : were you told this by Stammler or another dealer?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Resurfacing Rotors on AR's

Hope this does not post twice ( Damn Windows SP2). Anyways I just took my allroad to Stamler last week for the 40k and they replaced my rear rotars. I thought it might be the fronts but they said the rears were warped. Anyways Stammler has been very good to deal with in terms of taking care of any problems with my car. Although after my 50 k it I will probably go to Autosport werks in Broomfield or Avalon. I have been talking to them about the GIAC chip.. Will keep you posted
Old 08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AOA will pay for cutting rotors....

warranty pays the tech more time units to cut rotors than to replace them with new ones.

While this is great for the tech, it sucks for the customer and the parts department too. It can also turn into a waste of time, when the cut rotors still have problems.

There are a lot of techs that simply dont care about much more than making $$$ afterall its your car not theirs. So when your cut rotors warp just out of warranty... you get the $195/ea bill for rotors and $277/set for front pads.

The tech might get paid an addtional half hour to cut the rotors vs just replacing them with new rotors.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:01 PM

Default I find that the cut rotors and new ones (I've had both)

tend to warp at the same rate - so the point (at least in my case is moot)$60.00 for turned rotors vs. what? $500.00 for new ones that will warp at the same rate?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:03 PM

Will Autosport install a StopTech kit?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been told by dealer and three mod shops:

DON'T CUT ROTORS (ar) they are made of a very different composit alloy that can become brittle when cut.

This shocked me..when I heard it, but I continued to ask and verified it more than once. I'd like to hear AoA's official word.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FWIW...

The selling dealer put all new pads & rotors on my ar when they made it Audi Assured.

And, when the pads wore out on my '00 Passat, I learned that those rotors are 'unturnable' - the original thickness is so close to the spec minimum that by the time the pads are gone there's not enough material to cut off. The VW dealer said they don't even have a lathe. I found the aftermarket rotors for the Passat to be quite cheap - Napa had a decent price (IIRC $50-60 ea), and AutoZone's were so cheap it scared me right away.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my local dealer in canada...........

had my front rotors turned (stoptechs) but was told I would face probs sooner because of this. no issues but no track days since the fronts were turned.

Quick Reply: Resurfacing Rotors on AR's