Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

ricam's 6spd allroad conversion thread.....a pictorial :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic work. I'm thinking about the manual swap as well for my '04. Did the swap completely eliminate the Brake Throttle Lag?
Old 03-05-2016, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would raise this old topic back to life.

Last year I completely rebuilt my EYK transmission. I enjoy it - very comfortable everywhere and safe during off-road climbs.

However, for the longer term I decided to purchase a manual conversion kit from an MY2003 A6 biturbo. Reason: I would keep the AR "forever". As it gets old and elder, a manual might be simplier as it will beat the 20+ years (or 25+ years?)
An advantage of the A6 system: it offers at least 10% lower rpms at highway speeds (due to 4:37 vs 4:11 and smaller wheel diameters at the A6) which is quite good.

There are still some minor but important things that make me to consider.
1. Missing transmission oil cooling lines on the donor A6 Avant MY2003
According to SSP198, this is the factory build solution, so transmission oil cooling is only installed in the 2,7T Allroad and the 2,7T S4 but not in the 2,7T A6. Donors engine code was the same ARE with the same 250hp.
Would it mean any problem later? Syncronous rings, etc? There are rumours that the AR needs this. Or this is rather a kind of overengineering measure to serve some brainless users who start to climb a steep wall after creeping on the highway by 200km/h in summer hot days.
Since the oil pump is definitely not installed in the A6 transmission, it would be very hard (if possible) to make. And costy, too. Changing to Allroad manual would also cost a lot (incl ENX diff). So the quesition is, whether users who swapped to A6 manual,

Below I read Ricam used the same type of A6 manual. Experiences including the oil cooling question would be appreciated!

2. Inner joints and flanges
I had to replace all CV joints at the tiptronic tranny. In case I buy the longer shafts, can I swap the almost new OEM inner joints?
The hexagonal form flanges (for the tripodic cv joint) can be swapped from an Allroad TDI manual tranny, as far as I know. Mentioned here, too, right?
C5 6MT heavy Duty Front Axle Upgrade, Advanced Automotion
So that would not be a major issue.

3. Electric

3.1 Is it easier to mod the original engine cable batch where is needed or change against the manual one? Brake pedal, speed signal from the manual tranny, reverse light....other?
3.2 A manual ECU is a must or an option ?
3.3 I read somewhere there is a problem with the ABS block and manual ABS block needs to be replaced with the donor one. Programming is hardly possible (?)
I searched a lot but nowhere found a reliable forum thread about this.