Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Seeking Some Clarification on Chipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Some Clarification on Chipping

Hey Guys,

I have chipped my 225TTR and am really thinking about doing it to my AR! Here are a few questions that I couldn't find searching the forum:

1) What is the torque rating for the AR Tip Tranny? I've heard that it is rated to 400 lb-ft?
2) I know there is improved gas mileage..can anyone quantify the improvement over stock?
3) I've heard that the chip causes the engine to run about 100 degrees colder because of the efficiency gained by the chip, can anyone comment?
4) Audi techs have told me that there is no great HP or airflow improvement from using a high flow exhaust, AR exhaust is quite well optimized?

If all of this is true, it seems that the chip is a "no-brainer" and will actually help the longevity of the engine!

Peace
Old 02-15-2004, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMO, chip is no brainer if you want increased performance...

you sound like you are trying to 'justify' the chip for other reasons. I'm not saying you are wrong about fuel economy for example, but in practice I personally don't notice an improvement because the chip makes me lead foot the damn thing more than I might without the chip.

I can't imagine where you are coming from on the temp thing. Both water temp and oil temp remain about the same after chipping. Ambient conditions and driving style affect temps more than the chip.

Some have experienced noticable gains with aftermarket exhaust. I can't comment as I don't have one and probably won't for some time. I also can't comment on tip tranny as I don't have one and never will own one so I tune out those discussions.

What I can say overall is if you want increased performance you can't beat a chip. Don't try to sell yourself on side benefits - simply buy the chip if you want the car to pull like a scalded monkey.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Default BS on the exhaust advice

The allroad exhaust is strangling your motor. Milpitas 2.7T did before and after dyno pulls and found APR exhaust to be worth 15-20 wheel horsepower. I recently did MTM exhaust and find the car revs more freely and feels distinctly more powerful. No dyno, though. FWIW, the stock exhaust is 50 mm tubing, while the MTM is 60 mm. That's a 44% increase in cross-sectional area.

On the tranny torque rating, the same tranny in an S4 is rated at 320 lb-ft, IIRC. They seem to stand up fine to 350 lb-ft chips, however.

As for "100 degrees cooler", what temp are you referring to? That can't be coolant temp.

-df
Old 02-15-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Seeking Some Clarification on Chipping

Yeah...The exhaust comment didn't make much sense to me! I did a Milltek on my TTR and it made a big difference!

Chip it is....I did APR on my TTR and I think that's they way I'm leaning on my AR as well.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Junk science re: lower temp

The laws of thermodynamics dictate that the most efficient engine would run hotter. Engines are kept as cool as they are to preserve the life of the components.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tell you one thing that isn't questionable........this thing goes like a raped ape now!!

i have an '04 and Giac put their latest greatest S4 chip in it with the tranny chip. i'm pretty sure i can pull my house down the street now.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:12 PM

if this helps, the s4 tip tranny is unofficially 340tq