Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

stage III - is it really that expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinS4™
let me know!
Paulroad, he has one.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found an RS6 exhaust for my 2005 Allroad 2.7T 6spd I pick her up on March 26th and drive home, stopping for the RS6 exhaust.

Look NO HOLES in the Front Bumper ! Yeah!!!!

It needs an interior detail, but not bad at all! Winter Mats FTW too!

heated seats for the kids - again Winter Mats FTW!

Looks like I'll be doing the t-belt this summer

S4 shift **** with JHM shifter!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
'04 ar w\ tip, I'm finally out of warranty and extended warranty (w\ new free front airbags, thanks Audi!) and did the H-sport back when I bought it new, I'm finally going to chip it and I know I could research on here for hours but instead somebody point me at the best chip (please!)
Honestly, most of the chips are quite similar, but I do recommend the tip-chip for the slushbox. Also, look for a tuner that is local and will provide support....that's the best chip!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinS4
You found one with a hitch? Too bad you plan on using it, otherwise I'd gladly take it off your hands...
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting thread. Hopefully I won't ruffle any feathers, but I'd thought only the S4 guys were into heavy modification of the 2.7t engine. And I agree that the parts list for this level of performance adds up insanely fast. Has any of you tried Unitronic's 440cc file for this engine? It seems as though the hardware requirements for it are lower versus the GIAC or APR offerings. I suppose the performance is lower as well, but I'd love to do more than speculate on that question. Thanks.

Last edited by slappy_dunbar; 03-18-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar
Interesting thread. Hopefully I won't ruffle any feathers, but I'd thought only the S4 guys were into heavy modification of the 2.7t engine. And I agree that the parts list for this level of performance adds up insanely fast. Has any of you tried Unitronic's 440cc file for this engine? It seems as though the hardware requirements for it are lower versus the GIAC or APR offerings. I suppose the performance is lower as well, but I'd love to do more than speculate on that question. Thanks.
Well, a few of the crazy B5 S4 guys are crossing over. I bought my Allroad to tow my Miata. I gave up on tracking the S4 because it's such a heavy platform and the compromise between a daily driver, Euro-Luxury sedan and track bitch that needs to drive home were endless.

I started modding my car within 10,000 miles of new and finally stopped at 158,315 last week when I sold her. I've tried APR's chip, GIAC's X chip (beta tested their IBE/program changing thing), AMS, including many failed iterations of crappy Stg "5" and "6" (nothing more than Stg3 for the rest of the world).

Making power on this car is just a matter of increasing cool boost and fuel to match.
I'm starting all over again. From 250hp to over 500hp, back to Stg2 at ~320hp.
I did everything the expensive way with OEM RS4 parts. Most of the RS4 bits don't make power and aren't worth it, except for the K04s and SMIC (side mount intercoolers). If you bother upgrading to a larger turbo, do yourself a favor and at least gut the precat (also known as 'piggie pipes').

Here's my plan.
I bought my 2005 Allroad 6spd with an Autospeed Stg1 chip.
I bought an RS6 OE exhaust because it's an upgrade from 2" to 2.5". with some 3" stainless tips.
I'll gut the precats over the summer, unless I come across some cheap 2.5" DPs (downpipes)

If/when the K03s blow, I'd be interested in the turbo setup that doesn't require all the expensive piping. (That's the problem with K04 based solutions which require the RS4 uppipes). Bolt on turbos are the way to go, to save on costs..

If you go outside the K04 series, then the exhaust manifold becomes a new component that you may have to buy.

From what I have read, only the TiALs are bolt on with OE 2.7T piping. Just add in your DPs, cat-back, ICs, and fueling and you are off.

Incidentally, any turbo upfrade is going to be fuel limited...so unless you plan on leaning out and blowing the engine, make sure you add in larger injectors and depending on power levels, you may want a larger fuel pump.

As for tuning, personally I believe in custom tuning. I had my S4 tuned by at southern CT tuner called EuropeanPerformanceLabs (EPL).
I went from 280whp to over 400whp in one after noon. Software and new injectors and I found 120whp! (yeah, the prior AMS tune was crap and out of business).

I don't know much about Unitronic, but it sounds like a once size fits all "stg3" chip, no?

Personally, I like being able to request boost levels that are predictable and safe for the engine. Alternatively, If you are closer to NJ area, AutoSpeed (ASP) also does custom tuning (both EPL and ASP have worked on several projects together)

Why choose Unitronic?

Why choose FrankenTurbo?
I have tried several turbos during my tenure with my S4.
1) stock
2) RS4 K04s
3) K04/Mitsubishi hybrids from AmD
4) K04/RS6 from Buehn Engineering (out of business - they were hacks - turbos lasted 1000 miles)
5) K04/997 (Blouch Turbo - great work, turbos were installed 60,000 miles ago and still pull strong
6) Full RS6 hybrids with 42lb compressor (from Blouch)

#1 was never installed because I decided I didn't want to built my full on RS4 Stg4, instead I sold the RS4 block, piston, 2.8 built heads, etc and bought the Miata.
Explain this please? How is your setup different than the Tial or GTs.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Explain this please? How is your setup different than the Tial or GTs.
That chart is a simplified graphic representation of various compressors' flow maps. The impetus for it was my coming across 3K Warner's original spreadsheets for their RS4 turbo, which I found here. After spending some time looking through the raw numbers and seeing how they came to generate a flow map it made me realize there was another way of graphically representing what a turbo can offer -- one which was a bit "dumbed down" perhaps, but which also conveyed in a simple fashion what I was looking for: how much air and at what efficiency when the turbo is boosting a given amount? If you look through the (linked) spreadsheet you will see that information is all there in numerical sequence. For instance, you can identify the amount of air moved and its efficiency organized by specific shaft speeds. For a turbo/computer nerd like me it was fascinating.

As for comparisons between the FrankenTurbo and its competitors, I don't think I can address that without risking a forum rules violation. However, I can say that the Tials are built around 3K Warner's 2283-series compressor wheel. This is a very efficient and powerful wheel using their "Extended Tip Technology" and makes for a potent turbo in the Tial. Similar in size is the "Blouch K04/997" type. A 2277-series wheel, it is significantly lesser flowing. Not that the Blouch is a slouch. It's considerably better than the RS6 wheel. Heck, the 2078 found in the RS4 is very close to its bigger cousin, the 2275. In fact, at the outer limits, it's better. Who knew?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That chart is a simplified graphic representation of various compressors' flow maps. The impetus for it was my coming across 3K Warner's original spreadsheets for their RS4 turbo, which I found here.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those maps. It seemed logical to overlay the data to analyze it.

I am curious as to how the turbos mount, what hardware is required, tuning options, etc. Got a link? I stopped paying attention to the turbo wars after the GT kits came out...then the goal became obvious. Hi boost (25-40psi) with a crazy spike of torq above 4000rpm. That's great for a drag car, but lousy to drive. Trust me, I've driven on the street with 27psi and it's a bit much with the limited OE Motronic engine management. It's a bit twitchy on the gas pedal. From idle to 1/4 to WOT. There were basically three power levels. I doubt the 2005 is much different, but at least I'd know how to tune for the limits of the ECU. :Lower boost, within the efficiency of the snails will bring in more reliable power and less headaches. (misfires, 2000mile sparkplug changes)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I'm familiar with those maps. It seemed logical to overlay the data to analyze it.

I am curious as to how the turbos mount, what hardware is required, tuning options, etc.
Same as "plain jane" K04 turbos.

Got a link? I stopped paying attention to the turbo wars after the GT kits came out...then the goal became obvious. Hi boost (25-40psi) with a crazy spike of torq above 4000rpm. That's great for a drag car, but lousy to drive.
Several years ago, AWE tuning weighed in on the question of "how much boost" for this engine combined with the K04 turbos. If you look at the thread, you'll see their perspective is that anything over 20psi it too much for an unmodified engine. I think a few of the guys on that thread felt unhappy about this but really that air/fuel level is not too shabby. Take a look at how I calculate it:

A properly-tuned engine will in fact deliver AWE's power claims at "only" 20psi. Of course there's the expense of going with their kit, but that's another issue.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same as "plain jane" K04 turbos.
A properly-tuned engine will in fact deliver AWE's power claims at "only" 20psi. Of course there's the expense of going with their kit, but that's another issue.
Those numbers seem fairly accurate, but the flavor of turbo will also effect that efficiency above "20psi". For example, with my K04/RS6 or K04/997 snails were happier than the PJK04s above 20psi. I ran 27psi on 93oct making 460whp. Impressive, but honestly not that controllable for the track.

So, your turbos require RS4 K04 inlets?

Quick Reply: stage III - is it really that expensive?