Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Stealer performed a $55 testdrive that failed to reproduce the problem. Guess # miles they drove it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stealer performed a $55 testdrive that failed to reproduce the problem. Guess # miles they drove it?

The service rep said they drove it a "bunch" and could not reproduce the problem.

This is the THIRD time I dropped my car off at this dealer and they failed to reproduce the issue (different issues).

Every time they have been obvious problems. So, this time I checked the mileage just to see how hard they tried to reproduce the problem.

The problem in question is an auxiliary fan that howls like a jet engine as soon as the engine warms up; which everyone here knows takes longer than 3 miles. 3 mi.

I have not complained to the service rep yet. I intend to make sure the fan is acting up and then take it in there and make them listen to it.

Thoughts on what I should say about the half @ss 2-minute $55 test drive?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's ok, as we like a good rant now and again as well...I find myself in a similar situation...

how to handle halfa$$ed work at a shop that is my last option for indy work...the dealer is a lost cause and part of the reason I may never be able to drive an Audi again...I too would appreciate any input on how to politely but firmly handle this situation.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have either of you tried...

going to sites like www.goapr.com and www.awetuning.com and seeing who their closest install shop is?

Forgive me if I'm stating something obvious and it was like the first thing you did, just though I'd ask anyway.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check the electric fan behind the radiator... Maybe it had stopped running???
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Yeah, sorry Paul but even our local group is out of ideas as they have the same problems...

many of them work on their cars themselves or on each others' cars...which is great...and I have had offers from several, but while I was still under warranty (for another 5k) I was looking for some decent work and my only local outlet has disappointed me again and again...same with the local dealer and the dealer that is next closest has also had some issues...when I look on those lists Iowa is a big black hole for Audi's...I have had great advice here and QCRAZY has worked on my brakes but I hate it when I don't really have much in the quid pro quo department as many of these folks trade work back and forth...paying for dinners out for Q and his wife is about all I've got It is just frustrating to like Audi's and this car specifically and not be able to find any type of reliable support for it...my brake job on the rears done by my friend the local tire guy turned out better than the fronts by the German indy With all I have going on I really don't have time to do the work myself...I think I could with some tutoring but it is a matter of giving up something else...much of the other I also get paid for Thx for the suggestion and your award-winning support on this board
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ditto, While tracking down a vibrating fan I unplugged the one behind the

radiator, I thought my car was going to take off. You can typically show up and take the tech for a drive till the sound shows up. I have done that for a compressor issue. Turned out the last tech had not installed the noise isolator bushings on the air compressor, when ever it turned on it would resonate against the chassis.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Default secaondary air pump? My parents had to have theirs reaplaced under warranty because

theirs was making the same type of noise.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah. closest for either is 90 miles away.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did see that issue in the forums, where the gasket gets caught and stopps the larger fan

but both of my fans spin freely. And the primary fan is still working.

Thank you very much for the suggestion though

I was really hoping it was something like that that had already been documented, so I could avoid the dealer all together. But my issue fan issue seems to be something different. I could not find any post that seemed to have the exact same problem as mine.

I could try harder to isolate the problem, but then again I paid $2500 for a warranty! Be nice if I could use it-
Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nah, I already replaced that and I'm sure it's the fan. It's loud and right there under the hood.

Quick Reply: Stealer performed a $55 testdrive that failed to reproduce the problem. Guess # miles they drove it?