Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension failure

I know there are tons of threads about suspension issues and I have read many of them, but I couldn't find anything that is similar to my issue.

I have brand new arnott front air springs because the oem bags were leaking. I still had a leak after arnott was installed, but it was a different kind of leak. The front of the car began to lower causing the car to feel "wobbly" and sort of bouncy. Then last night as I pulled into my driveway, the front was all the way to the bumpstops and the car was scraping the ground. When I shut the car off, I heard a lot of air rushing out from the left front. Not a slight air leak. I'm talking rushing air. It only lasted for about 15 seconds and stopped.

Any insight would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Air fitting popped off?! Or the bottom of the air spring(aluminum) is not sitting properly on the sleeve?!

If you didn't already pull on the air fitting and look at the bottom of the air spring, or the ring at the top as those sometimes fail.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been numerous reports in recent months of poor Arnott quality control.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not rule out Arnott spring failure. Most common part is the top of the sleeve.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So how does this sound?

My indie mechanic said that the air fittings on the front suspension got sheered off. He said the car dropped so low that the fittings broke off.

I trust my mechanic, but this just doesn't make sense. I thought the car could only drop so far.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dotrenrew
So how does this sound?

My indie mechanic said that the air fittings on the front suspension got sheered off. He said the car dropped so low that the fittings broke off.

I trust my mechanic, but this just doesn't make sense. I thought the car could only drop so far.
Sounds like BS to me. Only thing that could sheer off the fitting is one of the upper control arms. This is not possible if the spring is installed correctly with the correct orientation. Fitting should be pointing straight out, not to the front or rear.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Sounds like BS to me. Only thing that could sheer off the fitting is one of the upper control arms. This is not possible if the spring is installed correctly with the correct orientation. Fitting should be pointing straight out, not to the front or rear.
So do you think my mechanic installed the air springs incorrectly?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I remember, the new Arnotts have a different size air fitting screw and female connector. If your indie didn't use their supplied screw and used instead the oem one they might've stripped the thread inside the air spring. And they don't want to be liable so they're selling you some BS. The car dropped BECAUSE of the air fitting, so even if it broke off it's their fault(though I find it hard to believe it actually broke off at all). Did they show you the culprit?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
From what I remember, the new Arnotts have a different size air fitting screw and female connector. If your indie didn't use their supplied screw and used instead the oem one they might've stripped the thread inside the air spring. And they don't want to be liable so they're selling you some BS. The car dropped BECAUSE of the air fitting, so even if it broke off it's their fault(though I find it hard to believe it actually broke off at all). Did they show you the culprit?
No, I didn't get over there to look at it yet. I don't remember getting any female connector when I bought these air springs. I think there were just some mounting bolts.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dotrenrew
So how does this sound?

Your mechanic is a liar or a moron...still trust him?

Quick Reply: Suspension failure