Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension - Has this happened to anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension - Has this happened to anyone else

1. I was driving to go see my gf and I notice when I stopped that my suspension had raised itself to level 2 without me pressing the button. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen? The roads were very good where I was driving and I was not going faster than normal. I don't like this 'feature'. I have the suspension on the lowest setting because I'm traveling at highway speeds and want the stability.

2. I am noticing a squeaking noise coming from some part of the suspension when I hit a road hump. It only happens when I hit the front tires on the road hump. Has anyone noticed anything like this?
Old 06-20-2001, 06:45 AM

Default raising to level 2 is normal in AUTO mode

The owner's manual describes this behavior, but basically auto mode will keep you at level 2 all the time as the default height. Switch to manual mode if you want to leave it at Level 1 all the time (i.e. don't want it to raise up when you stop).

Michael
Old 06-20-2001, 07:23 AM

Are you sure ? Mine is in Auto mode and it hasn't budged from Level 1 regardless of how I drive.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:57 AM

Mine does this too
Old 06-20-2001, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very Sure. I don't raise mine from level 1 unless I'm downtown.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:54 AM

Now I'm curious as to why mine does not move.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:12 AM

Default On auto mode level 2 is the starting point isnīt it?

I read that when you increase speed the suspension levels down, when you go back into a slow speed after 30 seconds it goes back to level 2.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am afraid this is not correct

You can be in "auto mode" and still select your height:

Select 1: The car will never go higher than this lowest setting. Well, actually I've had the same behaviour the original poster described. But at that time I thought I had pressed the up button by mistake while making a shade with my hand to see the leds under bright sun light. Maybe there is a problem. Need to watch for that more.

Select 2: The car will not go higher than this level. But it will lower to 1 above 75mph and then go up to 2 when slowed down again. (These triggers are described in the user manual.)

Select 3: The car will go down to 2 at 45mph. And then follow the same pattern as in the paragraph above. It will go up and down between levels 1, 2, and 3. (Again, the triggers are in the user manual.)

Select 4: The car will go down to level 3 above 17mph. And will never raise to 4 later on and start behaving like "Select 3" paragraph above.

All of the above are "auto mode" behaviours. The "manual mode" is different. In the manual mode, the car will not go "up and down" but will always go down at the trigger speeds. If you set the level to 4 and speed up to 75mph, the car will go down to level 1 step by step and stay there.

These are what I understand from the poorly written section of the user manual, and what I've verified on the road.

Ali
Old 06-20-2001, 11:01 AM

Default Squeaking/rattling

I have noticed some sort of very faint squeaking and/or rattling that sounds similar to the noise you mention. Seems to happen when I hit a bump, and I think, when the front wheels go over the bump. When I had it in for 10000 mile service last week, surprise, surprise, service did not hear it...
Old 06-20-2001, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Suspension - Has this happened to anyone else

1. The suspension will adjust automatically according to speed, or sometimes it will go back to whatever was the last setting I started on.

2. That noise sounds like what I just had fixed, it's the front brake bracket/shield located behind the brakes, it's a simple adjustment at the dealer. To make sure, go out to your car, hit the front tires with your palm, if you hear a metallic sound, that's the problem

Quick Reply: Suspension - Has this happened to anyone else