Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Opinions

I know the internet is a bad place to ask for opinions, but here goes!

I just bought an '01 Allroad, and the air bags leak, the compressor seems weak, and the struts are bad. (I'm assuming, because it bounces like crazy at all heights).
I have been reading about Arnott, and have seen mixed reviews. I notice the kit does not come with struts, and you can only get the series one. I would prefer the series two. Also, they have a front standard strut, and rear "sport" strut. Are these okay together?
I would go the adjustable coilover route, but I don't know if I will get the ground clearance needed to get through the deep snow we've been getting in the northeast. I have seen kits that come in exit height versions, but I think that only goes to position 3. Since mine has not been able to reach height 4 since owning it, I have no reference for proper height.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

That should be extra height versions, not exit. I can't find the edit post button.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the full Arnott coil over kit installed. Not adjustable. I've been very happy with the ride height. As for handling, well, I'm not rally-crossing the AR, so no worries there.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't plan on x-cross myself, either. I would either do the bags or an adjustable. My reasoning would be, raise the coilovers to full height in the winter, and drop them down to "normal height" in the summer. Be easy enough to do while I rotate the tires.
I just read about the compressor rebuild kit available. I think that may solve my problem temporarily, until the bags go completely. My bouncy ride may have more to do with the fact it can barely reach level 1 in the cold.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hard on running gear

Originally Posted by MrKid
I don't plan on x-cross myself, either. I would either do the bags or an adjustable. My reasoning would be, raise the coilovers to full height in the winter, and drop them down to "normal height" in the summer. Be easy enough to do while I rotate the tires.
I just read about the compressor rebuild kit available. I think that may solve my problem temporarily, until the bags go completely. My bouncy ride may have more to do with the fact it can barely reach level 1 in the cold.
I would do more research about running at Level 4 for prolonged periods. IIRC it can be hard on CV joints etc.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by YKallroad
I would do more research about running at Level 4 for prolonged periods. IIRC it can be hard on CV joints etc.
Understood. My street is usually forgotten when the plows go around. Once I make two rights, I'm on a plowed main road all the way to work. I would only use 4 to claw my way out. It looks like most adjustable coilovers can get you to almost 3.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well last night I installed my freshly rebuilt compressor into the car. I used Andy's kit, and once out of the car, the rebuild took 5 minutes. Excellent quality. When I first fired the car up, the pump sounded like it was struggling. After about 30 seconds, the front of the car started to rise. I was able to get the car from below level 1 (looked like it was from Fast and Furious) to level 4 in about 2 minutes. This morning, the car was still standing tall! Thanks for an awesome product, Andy!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well...so close. I found out why it held the height all night. It is now stuck at level 4. I was able to get it down to 3, then it timed out going to 2. When I turned the car off, it pumped it back up to 4, and the down button, and level 3+4 lights were all flashing till timeout. How does the relief valve open? I tore one of the green wires on the drivers side plug, and spliced it with a butt connector. If this is the controller for the relief valve, I will solder in a new section of wire for a more solid repair.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Solved! Ice in the relief line. After letting the car idle for 15 minutes, the exhaust was able to warm up the line and solenoid enough to clear the line. Today, it worked flawlessly!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
Solved! Ice in the relief line. After letting the car idle for 15 minutes, the exhaust was able to warm up the line and solenoid enough to clear the line. Today, it worked flawlessly!
Good stuff,

does it sink down when you park it at level 1?

if so you have an airbag leak you need to fix, if it doesnt sink at level 1 when parked its fine

best regards

Andy

Quick Reply: Suspension Opinions